Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I misplaced this tool.:chair: Not sure where I put it but wanted to get the aero bars on for the winter (just in case). Anyone know the part# of it and can it be put in the knowledge base? Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Mine is a Torx. One thing I noticed with the roof racks and such. I have the Yakima snowboard/ski racks and they have the lock on it.. However, all one needs to do is have that a Torx bit and blamo!!!! cross bars and snowboards can be stolen... I was thinking of using some other form of bolt instead to secure the cross bars.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
8 Posts
Mine is a Torx. One thing I noticed with the roof racks and such. I have the Yakima snowboard/ski racks and they have the lock on it.. However, all one needs to do is have that a Torx bit and blamo!!!! cross bars and snowboards can be stolen... I was thinking of using some other form of bolt instead to secure the cross bars.
You could replace them with a square drive. Not many people carry one of those. The theft is a problem because any one can drop into the local Loews or Home Depot and get one of the kits with a zillion different drive bits.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
You could replace them with a square drive. Not many people carry one of those. The theft is a problem because any one can drop into the local Loews or Home Depot and get one of the kits with a zillion different drive bits.
Exactly... After i bought the lockset for like 60 bucks. I get home and realize.. I just made it so they can take the whole thing in one big swoop. I will look into other bit options.. But silly right??? At least something.. maybe I'll put in 8 totally different bolts and really upset them.:woohoo:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
I am not sure, but I think I remembered that the Torx screw heads are underneath the bars when I removed mine. That being said I needed to get a step ladder to get to them.......now I am not a tall guy so maybe you taller guys have easier access to them. It seems like a lot to do to try to steal a snowboard or what ever else you have up there, but as I said, I am not sure about this. I am sure there are other types of screws that can be used that offer better security. Found this: Tamperproof Screw Company: Security Screws, Fasteners & Spanners

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
I've always thought about the fact that someone could take the cross bars with anything on them... but I guess I just hedge my bets that the thieves are not that smart to know to bring one.

On another note, I found that some really old tool kit had a T-30 bit. So now, I just pop it into my drill and it makes getting them on/off soooo much easier :)

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
I am not sure, but I think I remembered that the Torx screw heads are underneath the bars when I removed mine. That being said I needed to get a step ladder to get to them.......now I am not a tall guy so maybe you taller guys have easier access to them. It seems like a lot to do to try to steal a snowboard or what ever else you have up there, but as I said, I am not sure about this. I am sure there are other types of screws that can be used that offer better security. Found this: Tamperproof Screw Company: Security Screws, Fasteners & Spanners
thanks!!! my bolts are right on the side..so it is pretty easy to access. But great find.. I will look into these as options for security..:woohoo:

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
156 Posts
Does anyone know the thread pitch of these torx T-30 bolts? I've got a set of the crossbars at home, but don't know how to measure the threads. This would be useful information for those wanting to upgrade the bolts to a security type mentioned above. I can measure the length when I get home.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
156 Posts
The (original) bolts are M6 x 1.0 x 55mm, and of course T-30 head.

The sites mentioned above have M6 x 1.0 x 40 "security" machine screws, but may be too short for our application.

Tamper Resistant Fasteners at Facca Fasteners this site has a few 50 and 60mm security screws.

For Subaru vehicles that come with these cross bars as standard, they must include the torx T-30 screwdriver right? That means anyone with a Subaru with OEM crossbars has access to other people's crossbars as well! More of a reason to look into some security bolts, for those who frequently use their cross bars and have valuables secured to them.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
Just don't visit Canada then, the robertson (square head) screws are our standard type up here. 95% of deck screws sold in Canada are robertson.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts