Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XT & 2010 X
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I use the 'relatives' forum to ask for input on an issue with my Odyssey?

2000 Odyssey, 147k miles. Replaced the cat a few years ago, spark plugs aren't that old, and has coil packs rather than wires (also replaced the transmission @ 117k).

I'd noticed over the past few months that the engine seemed to hesitate at low throttle acceleration at low RPMs. In the last two weeks, it has a new symptom. On my wife, it has died right after starting three times. She says today she had to give it gas after starting to get it to run for a moment. I started it after she got home and it did miss for a moment after starting.

So what are my potential culprits? No check engine light, so I have no actual data to go on, just your hunches. I've never replaced the fuel filter so that was going to be my first step, but it's inside the fuel pump assembliy inside the gas tank so it'll be a pain to do...but that might should be my first step.

Thanks for any input guys!

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I've never worked on a Honda much ...

But with the primary symptoms idle-related you should probably clean the throttle body and see what kind of idle control it has. If it still has a throttle cable it probably has some kind of idle control valve that could need cleaning.

Maybe check some Honda forums too?

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
I'd clean the TB as Woody mentioned, and maybe clean or replace the MAF if it has one. Air filter clean? If it's dirty, I've had vehicles that would die right after starting because of it.

Those are just some basics. Do you always fill up at the same place? Try a tank somewhere else and see if that helps, and dump a full can of SeaFoam or B-12 Chemtool (same thing I think, but cheaper) in the tank when you do it. If that helps, it could be bad gas or dirty injectors.

·
Registered
2018 XT & 2010 X
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Air filter is fine, but I definitely will go for cleaning the IAC, throttle body, and especially the EGR (which is a know issue on Odysseys - had an issue with that one several years ago). I'll just have to go buy new gaskets to do those, unfortunately!

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester L.L. Bean yes
143 Posts
You could try a search of the Odyclub forums here

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
I'd check all the O2 sensors...
I don't have experience with Honda's, but with VW's they'll cause the symptoms you've described if they've gone bad or just need cleaning. Also, the MAF sensor caused that on my Skyline a while back... remedy was to clean it with brake cleaner, functions normally now.

·
Registered
2018 XT & 2010 X
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys. I'd searched the Odyssey forums, they aren't much help when it gets technical. Not a lot of other info online either that matches my symptoms.

I can't find a gasket for the IAC so I haven't done it (may have to go to dealer, but the local dealer's parts dept isn't good about ordering stuff). However, today I did clean the EGR valve (but really it's the ports in the intake manifold that would need cleaning). Checked the air filter, it looks good, and it's got a MAP instead of MAF. I do have an extra O2 sensor (don't ask) but didn't want to change too much at once!

More importantly, I Seafoamed it today!!! I didn't get much smoke at all (not like when I did my 99 Forester), but WOW it is so much more responsive! This might have just done the trick. I'll have to let the wife drive it this week (and we'll be taking it on a trip next weekend) to see if this is it, but driving around town today it's definitely got quicker response at the pedal.

·
Registered
2018 XT & 2010 X
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, and I added a little Seafoam to the gas tank (haven't done that before). The fuel filter isn't supposed to be replaceable - you can only buy a whole fuel pump assembly, can't buy the filter separately :shrug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts