Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a MY10 Forester X Manual and have started to notice some weird throttle behavior.

Now this doesn't happen all the time and is only during low speed, usually like in a car park, basically when I push the clutch in the revs go up as if I have placed my foot on the throttle at the same time to about 1500 rpm and they hold for a little bit and then drop off. When I release the clutch the revs drop instantly i.e. it doesn't "accelerate" by it's self, only when the clutch is pushed. Today I just rolled through the car park for a bit with my foot on the clutch to see what would happen and it revved up, dropped, revved up, dropped about 4 times before it settled?? I noticed when I got the car that the revs hold directly after pushing the clutch in to aid with gear changes, but revving up after pressing the clutch in and only at low speeds does not seem like a design feature? It's rather embarrassing because it sounds like I can't drive a manual lol.

P.S. The Forester is almost due for it's 25,000km service.

Thoughts or anyone with similar experience?

Cheers,
Aaron

·
Registered
08 MY09 X
17 Posts
Mine does it too. It is usually most apparent when pulling up at an intersection you push the clutch in whilst is 1st and the revs go right up.

I checked with my dealer and they advised it is a known computer controlled engine management issue that is part of some self learning feature. I think the computer thinks you are about to change up a gear rather than stop.

The dealer advised late 2009 there would be a software patch to rectify however as of about March this year Subaru hadn't sucessfully been able to develop one.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting... do you have any information on this issue from Subaru so I can present it to my dealership? It will be going in for a 25,000km service in a month and I will let them know I am experiencing the same problem.

·
Registered
2009 Forester xt premium
69 Posts
This is apparent with all the Foresters. I dont know what it is! We took the Fxt 2010 for a drive in the manual, and noticed it a fair bit! I was thinking that if you got an aftermarket blow off valve, it would be fixed, but of what I have heard, this doesnt fix anything, and it shows with your NA forester.

·
Registered
08 MY09 X
17 Posts
Interesting... do you have any information on this issue from Subaru so I can present it to my dealership? It will be going in for a 25,000km service in a month and I will let them know I am experiencing the same problem.
Sorry no info from Subaru only what dealer told me. From memory I think an earlier patch was developed however found to have some bug in it which would lead to other problems. Maybe you could post here if there has been a new software update.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I will mention it when it goes in for a service, hopefully my local dealer has seen the problem before.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
93 Posts
Been having the same type of thing on out 2010 MT. Even been to Subaru of Canada and the dealer tells me that it's working as it's supposed to. I've driven manuals nearly all my driving life so far - it's the first car I've had where the rev's go up when you dip the clutch with your foot off the throttle.

I'll be gearing up to have another go at them in the next few months.

Cheers - Steve

Hi all, I have a MY10 Forester X Manual and have started to notice some weird throttle behavior.

Now this doesn't happen all the time and is only during low speed, usually like in a car park, basically when I push the clutch in the revs go up as if I have placed my foot on the throttle at the same time to about 1500 rpm and they hold for a little bit and then drop off. When I release the clutch the revs drop instantly i.e. it doesn't "accelerate" by it's self, only when the clutch is pushed. Today I just rolled through the car park for a bit with my foot on the clutch to see what would happen and it revved up, dropped, revved up, dropped about 4 times before it settled?? I noticed when I got the car that the revs hold directly after pushing the clutch in to aid with gear changes, but revving up after pressing the clutch in and only at low speeds does not seem like a design feature? It's rather embarrassing because it sounds like I can't drive a manual lol.

P.S. The Forester is almost due for it's 25,000km service.

Thoughts or anyone with similar experience?

Cheers,
Aaron

·
Registered
2009 Forester XS Premium Manual
3 Posts
Hi Aaron (and all frustrated MT owners),

I had this issue with my 09 XS Premium. Started as a subtle issue with the symptoms that you (Aaron) are experiencing and after 18,000k was frustrating and embarrassing to drive. The only solution to restore normal ECU behaviour was to pull the battery for at least two hours, resetting the ECU. This would fix the revving for a month, or three, or a week.

At it's worst, my idle (in gear, clutch in) would bounce from idle to 2500rpm, up and down continuously until I took it out of gear. It would actually cause the car to surge a little if I let the clutch out a little, say in a car park. Very dangerous to me as the car is revving of its own accord.

Asking my dealer at every service about the PAK file that was available in the US for this exact I had no luck. I contacted Subaru directly through their website. After six weeks of no response other than a generic "Your issue has been escalated to the correct department" email, I then contacted again being a little stern with them I did elicit a response and acknowledgement of the issue. Went to the dealer and within fifteen minutes I had the ECU reprogrammed with the new PAK file and no sign of rev-holding at all since (over four months, was done in early Feb). This was at City Subaru - Newstead/Brisbane.

So, if your dealer is telling you that one is not available, they are telling porky-pies. Be persistent.

Hope this helps some out there as it's not something you should have to put up with on a new car.

cheers,
Greg

·
Registered
2010 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks g4goodstuff, that's great info and I will definitely mention it at my next service in a few weeks time. I will let everyone know how I go.

·
Registered
MY06 Forester X Man
8 Posts
I have been requesting a patch for this problem for 2 years and no result from Docklands.
Obviously I was treated like a fool and it was suggested I didn't know how to drive.
Very disappointed with how this very obvious and very easy problem to replicate has not been fixed yet for the customers.
I asked again just last month.

Have given up now and ordered an auto.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
252 Posts
Mine does it & it winds me up no end :icon_mad:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
252 Posts
Had the 30.000 km service yesterday, and questioned the service guy about the rising revs when the clutch goes in at low speed.

His explanation was that it is emissions control feature designed to ensure complete fuel burn when the engine isn't under load (ie clutch in), it's operation varies with temperature.

There have been issues with the revs rising too much and yes there is a software fix available but that has also been problematic and causes other issues on occasion.

In normal operation revs shouldn't rise past 2500 rpm.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so I had the service and as expected they didn't find anything wrong nor could they replicate the problem which I must admit would be difficult to do as it doesn't always happen to me. They did say though that if I discovered a way to always replicate the issue to let them know and for me to take them for a drive to show them. They did go on to remind me that by design the electronic throttle is supposed to idle higher when cold and hold revs in between gear changes which I already knew and I went on to explain that this wasn't the problem I was experiencing but I agreed it was hard for them to fault something that didn't occur during their tests. He did say that they reset the ECU though as it may help and so far there could be some truth in that as the few short drives I have done since the service I haven't had the problem. Given that the issue didn't exists from new is it possible that the ECU at some point gets confused? Perhaps a reset is all that is needed if it comes back again...

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
Is it possible you are leaving your foot slightly on the gas pedal while you shift?

·
Registered
2011 Forester Diesel Turb MT6
42 Posts
I have had the same thing with my 08 Forester from new, especially when pulling up at an intersection after a long highway run, it would take 2 or 3 stop-starts to settle back down. I found that by changing right down through the gears to 2nd before pulling up reduced the rev-up, whereas if I were to bring her down to 3rd and pull up from there she would sit there at 2.5 to 3K RPM!!

·
Registered
08 MY09 X
17 Posts
Just revisiting this thread. My MY08 goes out of warranty early next year and it still has the throttle issue. Has anyone been advised of a definite fix or is this something we just need to live with?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XS Premium Manual
3 Posts
Guys and gals, don't live with this problem.

There is a PAK file for the ECU. It can be fixed, mine had the PAK file applied and I have not once had the over-revving between gear shifts, or at idle with the clutch in since.

If your service centre tells you that it's normal, call BS on it because it's not. I contacted Subaru Australia directly through their website and after one follow-up curt email to them I had a booking at City Subaru in Newstead (Brisbane) and it was fixed within 20 minutes.

Don't let the mechanics tell you any different, it is an issue, it is intermittant and there is a fix.

Greg

·
Registered
15 FORESTER CVT
314 Posts
I have a June, 2010 manufactured MT/X and I have never had that issue crop up? I also don't have the "spark nock" problem that some have experienced. I wonder if they revised the mapping in the later production models?

When where the examples above manufactured? Do your vehicles also have the deal range gearbox?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts