Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some searching have not turned up anything good - have a 2002 Forester S.

When the car seems to be cold, the rear-end produces a squealing noise - sounds like it is tied to the rotation of the tires. I cannot re-produce the noise by jumping on the back of the car (so I doubt it is the shock absorbers). It's definately not the tires - all have normal wear and are near new. The noise started as just an occasional high pitched squeal - we originally thought a small animal was stuck under the car - it sounded almost exactly like a cat.

The noise stops when the car banks right or left - so that knocks out wheel bearings.

After the car rolls at 70 mph for 3-4 mins the noise disappears. Could it be a CV joint boot?? I have looked for the slung heavy oil... but have not seen any trace.

Anyone have any experience or insight - much appreciated to all who reply! Thanks!
Ryan

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The wheel bearings could be causing enough play that brake components are coming in contact with each other, especially in the E-brake area. I'd pull the wheel off and first look for odd wear anywhere around the brakes, and then pull the rotor off and look around the ebrake components etc for rubbing. Also check that the pads aren't worn down and just causing the warning "scraper" thing to contact.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
I have done some searching have not turned up anything good - have a 2002 Forester S.

When the car seems to be cold, the rear-end produces a squealing noise - sounds like it is tied to the rotation of the tires. I cannot re-produce the noise by jumping on the back of the car (so I doubt it is the shock absorbers). It's definately not the tires - all have normal wear and are near new. The noise started as just an occasional high pitched squeal - we originally thought a small animal was stuck under the car - it sounded almost exactly like a cat.

The noise stops when the car banks right or left - so that knocks out wheel bearings.

After the car rolls at 70 mph for 3-4 mins the noise disappears. Could it be a CV joint boot?? I have looked for the slung heavy oil... but have not seen any trace.

Anyone have any experience or insight - much appreciated to all who reply! Thanks!
Ryan
My fuel pump makes a high pitch noise sometimes.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Maybe a rock or pebble in one of the brake calipers :shrug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts