Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed twice now that when I first start the car in the morning and shift from R back to P that the CVT makes a fairly loud single clicking noise. This only happens when the engine is in cold high idle mode just below 2K rpm. It's fine after the cold light goes out or the after idle has dropped. The best description is a loud solenoid sound similar to a mouse trap going off. The car only has 3200 miles on it but I hope it isn't a warning sign of something else. It's probably something to do with shifting back to P at higher rpm but I've never heard it until this week. The CVT runs just fine otherwise but wondering if anyone else has had this happen? Thanks

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
933 Posts
Parking pawl engaging? Are you applying the brakes, preferably the parking/emergency, before going back to P?

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@slothman It could be the parking pawl but why the noise just under those conditions? The vehicle is on flat ground in the garage, first start of the day, ambient temp above 50F, foot is on the brake, parking brake is off. I sometimes put the car in reverse to drop the high idle a bit, but if my wife is taking too long(another story), I will shift back into park so I can take my foot off the brake. I'll try it again this morning and try to get a recording on my phone if it does it again. The nearest automotive sound I can compare it to would be a loud AC clutch engaging but the HVAC system is completely off.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,812 Posts
@CrabGuy. I too have a 2018 (17k miles). When I started it today after it sat in the garage all night I, too, hear a click or clunk noise when shifting back into P from R. I shifted from P to R to P several times and heard it each time when shifting back to P. Can't say I ever noticed it before as I probably have never shifted from R to P right after starting the car. I'll try it again later on a warm engine and let you know if it goes away.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium CVT
69 Posts
My 2017 (25K miles) has never done that. Doesn't sound normal. It's under warranty, so for peace of mind if It were me, I'd have dealer service dept look at it.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
84 Posts
CrabGuy said:
I sometimes put the car in reverse to drop the high idle a bit, but if my wife is taking too long(another story), I will shift back into park.
I wonder if putting the car into gear while at the height of cat warm up phase is putting additional stress on the CVT? I don't think the computer is able to bring down the idle 100% before the CVT engages when you do that. The CVT is taking those extra rpms on the chin. That's my take, ready for someone who knows better to chime in.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,812 Posts
@slothman. I too have a 2018 (17k miles). When I started it today after it sat in the garage all night I, too, hear a click or clunk noise when shifting back into P from R. I shifted from P to R to P several times and heard it each time when shifting back to P. Can't say I ever noticed it before as I probably have never shifted from R to P right after starting the car. I'll try it again later on a warm engine and let you know if it goes away.

@CrabGuy...I just tried it again after returning from a drive and, like you, I do not hear the click or clunk on a warm engine/transmission. If you have your dealer check it out, let me know what they say.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
933 Posts
Took mine in for service this morning and asked the sales guys if I could check their Forester and Liberty, aka Legacy, demonstrators. Both made the same distinct noise when going back to P, as did mine when cold. I now think the noise might be the actuator disengaging reverse gear, rather than the pawl, but it could be either.

I doubt it is significant, just the result of cold metal, cold fluid and a higher idle speed. I has had no adverse affect on my nearly 6 yo Forester as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I thought I was alone in hearing that strange noise. Funny thing though, for 2 days in a row now I can't duplicate it again. I'm starting to wonder if it's something related to stopping position of the CVT after turning the car off. The disengagement of reverse at high rpm comment while cold does seem credible though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts