Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
03 Forester Automatic
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a long weekend trip to the OBX. The North Carolina Beach Buggy Association has an Operation Beach Respect day three times a year. Last Saturday I had the privilege of working 4 hrs at ramp 49 handing out trash bags and information packets. Man was the sand soft and deep! I saw more people stuck in the sand in these three days than all my previous trips put together. Almost all in big capable 4x4 trucks or SUV’s. A lot didn’t get 15 ft down ramp 49 and got bogged. Most hadn't aired down and didn’t know they should. Off ramp 44 a new Outback with surf boards on top was bogged but not yet to the frame. After airing down to 16 psi and turning off the traction control, a little push and they were on their way. Here’s a few picts from the weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
sounds like fun!

we're going down to rodanthe in august. where are the best beach access points? any where you're more or less likely to get stuck due to incline or length of soft sand stretches?

any good "hardcopy" obx beach guides you would recommend?

·
Registered
03 Forester Automatic
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ramps 38 and 43 are usually pretty easy to access. 49 is a long soft drive to the beach and getting back to the ramp from the beach is pretty steep. All are subject to closure due to nesting birds and turtles. Conditions can change fast so it's hard to tell what it will be like when you get there. Here are some links you might find useful. Have fun.

http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/upload/071408 ORV Brochure.pdf

Cape Hatteras National Seashore - News Releases (U.S. National Park Service)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Man was the sand soft and deep! I saw more people stuck in the sand in these three days than all my previous trips put together. Almost all in big capable 4x4 trucks or SUV’s. A lot didn’t get 15 ft down ramp 49 and got bogged.

LOL! did you see my OBX Fail post?! It was amazing seeing the beach just engulf these trucks like nothing. Im glad you got through it, my Foz became a victim as well...the sand was so soft and deep just like you said. I may try a different ramp other than Oregon inlet next time to see if more passable....

·
Registered
03 Forester Automatic
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL! did you see my OBX Fail post?! It was amazing seeing the beach just engulf these trucks like nothing. Im glad you got through it, my Foz became a victim as well...the sand was so soft and deep just like you said. I may try a different ramp other than Oregon inlet next time to see if more passable....
Your post about the traction control was what I was thinking about when I told the Outback driver to disable his. My older Fozzie doesn't have it so I never really think about it. He probably has your post in part to thank for getting off the beach.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Ramps 38 and 43 are usually pretty easy to access. 49 is a long soft drive to the beach and getting back to the ramp from the beach is pretty steep. All are subject to closure due to nesting birds and turtles. Conditions can change fast so it's hard to tell what it will be like when you get there. Here are some links you might find useful. Have fun.

http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/upload/071408 ORV Brochure.pdf

Cape Hatteras National Seashore - News Releases (U.S. National Park Service)
thx, i'll check that out! :icon_cool: :Banane35:

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,666 Posts
Great pics.

If you want a bit of an easier time in deep sand, I would highly recommend going with a wider tire. I run 225/55/17's on the beach and the wider footprint helps a lot.

-Dennis

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I've got 16s in stock size. I plan on doing the 25% height reduction method and see what PSI is required for that and how the tire looks. I'm guessing I'll run somewhere about 15 psi that will still give me some more room to air down in case I get stuck. We'll see.

From my limited reading it seems width would help some (especially the larger the rim gets and the thinner profile the tire is), but what makes the most difference is hitting the "sweet spot" in airing down to get a long contact patch but yet minimize chance of tire damage or even coming unseated from rim (at say less than 8 psi or so). Coast to a stop, stay off the brakes, avoid sudden turns, don't get on any slopes off-camber (sideways). It'll be interesting for me seeing how sand driving is so different than 4x4 in the mountains (not snow).

I think my fairly cheap compressor will last for a trip or two. It is better than the last one I had that struggled to get above 30 psi and took forever. This one gets to 35 psi pretty quickly from plugging a flat and also airing rear tires from 35 back up to 44 for towing. Any suggestions on good quality small compressors without going too large or too expensive? I don't have full-size trucks anymore so currently I don't have to go to 60 or 80 psi in a large tire, but the small trailer tires hold 90, I think.

·
Registered
03 Forester Automatic
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Slime 12 volt compressor that works fairly well but if you're by any of the ramps I mentioned and you don't take your air too low there are places nearby that provide free air. Reddrum tackle by ramps 43, 44, and 45, Frisco Rod and Gun just across 12 from ramp 49 and Gaskins creek BP up by ramps 34 and 38 all have free air. If you go down to Ocracoke you can air back up at Tradewinds. Unless you have to go way down it wont hurt to drive to one of these places. Some fishermen stay aired down for their entire stay and only air up when they go home.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
21 Posts
Headed to Corolla next month and can't wait to break in my '09. Hoping for the best but to prepare for the worst who do I get to help pull me out?

·
Registered
03 Forester Automatic
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Headed to Corolla next month and can't wait to break in my '09. Hoping for the best but to prepare for the worst who do I get to help pull me out?
Do you have a hitch? If not you'll need some D-shackles that fit your tie down points. Also have a long heavy duty tow/snatch strap, the one with the loops sewn in the ends not the cheap forged hooks. If you have these you may find someone willing to help' if not call A-1 Towing (252) 453-4002 and be prepared to spend some $$$$$. Only place to air up when off the beach (that I know of) is for the people renting on the north beach. This is where I always use my 12 volt compressor. The signs may say air down to 20/25 psi but go down to 16, you'll be glad you did. Good luck. It's a great drive and watch out for the stumps.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
21 Posts
Do you have a hitch? If not you'll need some D-shackles that fit your tie down points. Also have a long heavy duty tow/snatch strap, the one with the loops sewn in the ends not the cheap forged hooks. If you have these you may find someone willing to help' if not call A-1 Towing (252) 453-4002 and be prepared to spend some $$$$$. Only place to air up when off the beach (that I know of) is for the people renting on the north beach. This is where I always use my 12 volt compressor. The signs may say air down to 20/25 psi but go down to 16, you'll be glad you did. Good luck. It's a great drive and watch out for the stumps.
No hitch. I got the memo about the recovery strap but can't I just loop that through the hardware that screws into my front/rear bumper for extracting the vehicle? I'm not (yet) an avid off roader so I would hate to collect equipment I may never use again!

·
Registered
2007 Forester Premium
1,923 Posts
Sweet! I was there the 19th through the 26th and seen the advertisements and commercials. It looked interesting. My brother in law and I wanted to take our fozzies but decided just to rent vans from enterprise so it would be more comfy for the family and keep 2000 miles off ours. We kept eying all the 4x4's that passed us and let out a sigh. :biggrin:

·
Registered
03 Forester Automatic
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No hitch. I got the memo about the recovery strap but can't I just loop that through the hardware that screws into my front/rear bumper for extracting the vehicle? I'm not (yet) an avid off roader so I would hate to collect equipment I may never use again!
I'm not familiar with how the newer Foresters are set up but I guess you could. I'm sure someone on this form can tell you for sure. If what screws into your bumper is like what's on my wife's 02 Outback Sport you may still need the shackles to connect the strap to your eyebolt. Hey just air down and don't get stuck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts