Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
03 Legacy wagon 5mt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My legacy (03 5mt wag) is getting up there in years and miles, and the wife's nissan versa has a totally unacceptable 2 star crash rating so the plan is to trade in both and spring for the forester (very excite!:banana::woohoo::banana:), which is what brings me here.

I like the late model second gens (07-08), she's leaning toward third gen. I thought I'd look for a thread where you guys have discussed your favorite year class and why, but when I searched I came up empty. Am I missing something, or just really inexperienced with this forum?

In the unlikely event this thread doesn't exist, what years are the crowd favorites? what years to avoid? I'm definitely looking at 06 and later to keep mileage and risk of head gasket failure low. our budget is negotiable, at this point I'm just curious to see what everyone's favorite is for reference.

thanks! and sorry for being a newb!

Matt

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium CVT
140 Posts
My husband has a 2010 and I have a 2014 Premium. He loves a lot of the improvements in mine (CVT, backup camera, the display screen, the fact that bluetooth is built-in), but what he doesn't really like as much on the 2014 compared to his is that it's harder for him to reach the window controls on the driver door (he has arthritis and his wrists have to bend in a funky way to reach around the diagonal door handle), he is not as crazy about the red illumination on the speedometer (he prefers the bluish on his car), and he is not crazy about the digital fuel gauge (prefers analog). He said that none of those are major, but we just wanted to give you this comparison from this two Forester family. He said that the things he doesn't like on the 2014 are minimal compared to the improvements on the 2014 model and if he had to get another Forester, he would definitely get a 2014!

·
Registered
03 Legacy wagon 5mt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
14xt, I dislike the shape and body of the rest of them.

FYI, don't trade in 2 used cars for another used cars. The dealer is screwing you 3 times that way.
Im not interested in new. the off the lot depreciation makes me sick to my stomache. I bought my current subaru for $5,500.00 , drove it coast to coast and back again, used it as my daily for three years now, and I fully expect to get $3,000.00 for it. I will have spent $1,500.00 plus general repairs to drive that car for three years. brand new will depreciate twice that the second it leaves the dealer lot.

That being said, I actually prefer the older body style. If the first gen fozzy's didn't have head gasket issues, I would probably be leaning toward one of those.

besidesI'll be selling the two used cars on the private market and taking that plus whatever I save toward the new-to-me forester. so whoever I buy from will only "screw" me by selling me what I want to buy at the price it's worth.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,759 Posts
We have an '03 X (son's) & an '07 FSXT (mine). I personally prefer the early SG, '03-'05, but my son likes the later SG, '06-'08. :wink:

Check the dirty side for rusting, if you buy in a State that salts the roads! No winter road salts used here in Oregon, so even our '95 Neon is completely rust free.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts