Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as a new Subaru owner, I'm still trying to find my way around your forum. one of the things I always do with a new model is ask around on forums to see if there are specific items I can add to my toolbox to aid and abet the inevitable - troubleshooting.

as a VW owner and DIYer, one of those tools is an OBDII reader. on the VW side, Ross Tech makes a great ODBII tool for a laptop. is there such a thing for Subaru, or does everyone here use generic OBDII readers?

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
I see a lot of owners have Scangauges mounted in the car. My 1999 Forester came with one, even. Though, it is limited to basic OBDII fault troubleshooting in that it doesn't read any codes except ECU codes (not TCU or ABS or anything else). For that, you need a Subaru Select Monitor which is only available to dealers.

I use my STI's Accessport for our 2011 Impreza as well. When the code comes up it gives you a description and suggested actions, which is pretty convenient (as well as all the awesome things Accessports are for). I'm not sure if they're available for your model Forester or not.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I just use an older tactrix cable(1.3 or so, before they put all the fancy features in), it's just an obd to usb cable basically. I use that with Learning View on a laptop to get basic data such as CEL codes, and the learned ecu info (timing, fueling etc). I think I got the cable for maybe $25 and all the software is free.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring AT
1,841 Posts
tons of people use these cheap soliport ELM327 dongles, and then either Torque on android OS

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Version-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner/dp/B008UR7J6I/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1381081521&sr=1-6&keywords=obdii+bluetooth]ELM327 OBDII OBD2 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Interface Scanner[/ame] ELM327 OBDII OBD2 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Interface Scanner

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=en

or Dash Command on iOS with a wifi dongle
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcommand-obd-ii-gauge-dashboards/id321293183?mt=8

another cheap thing i've used on a laptop is an OBD II to USB, then you can use romraider or something for data
OBD2 OBD II Diagnostic USB Cable For KKL409.1 VAG-COM 409 : Amazon.com : Automotive

or if you want something more advanced and $$$, cobb accessport
Accessport

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5XT Sportshift
48 Posts
I have an Ultragauge, which I mostly use it as a Speedo and Boost gauge (you can configure it to show whatever you like as long as your ECU supports it). You can read and reset ECU trouble codes from it. For serious works (tuning ECU, disable trouble codes etc), get a tactrix cable.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks to all who have answered up thus far.

the problem with most generic ODBII readers is you usually can't get TCU or ABS trouble codes - I want to be able to read them all. my 2014 is the 2.5i, vice the 2.0XT, and since it is primarily the wife's car, there's not going to be any tuning going on save for maybe a chip if doing so gets better gas mileage. I just want access to be able to determine a) what is wrong with it when it breaks, and b) what I have to do in order to fix it.

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,825 Posts
^+1 For ScanGauge II. Absolutely love this small piece of art :)

·
Registered
2014 Legacy CVT
8 Posts
I bought a code reader on sale for $100(regular price $150)about three years ago at AutoZone. Wal*Mart is selling cheaper ones recently, although mine looks to be of better quality.

I have used the code scanner to delete a couple of alarms that turned on the CEL. They didn't look like serious problems and did not reoccur after deletion. When the knock sensor went bad, I knew that it was a real problem because the alarm would return if deleted.

An OBDII scanner is nice to have.

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
602 Posts
I have a cheap amazon elm reader and it works ok for code clearing with torque app. I'm looking to jump to an obdlink unit to keep an eye on CVT temps. Ig your just using it for codes the cheap harbor freight or walmart scanner would be cheaper.<$20

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0 XT Auto
9 Posts
I see a lot of recommendations for Scangauge II. I see posts that say it can read CVT Temps, and some say it cant... Hence why I decided on OBDLink LX.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,197 Posts

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
I have several (a carChip; some cheap BT readers, one for each car always plugged in; an Innova that can read OBD2 and 1, an older Autel and a VagCom for Audi/VW).
The most up to date is my new Autel that can plot data, service body, airbag and TPMS subsystems.

I had to get it on account of some tire monkey, after her getting a flat, saying that my wife's Legacy needed a new TMPS computer because it kept turning the tire light on. <rolling my eyes. They likely screwed the sensor up>.
Bought the Autel to read what was wrong, determined it was just one tire's sensor, bought a sensor and had that replaced. The other tire monkey place told her to go to the dealer to reprogram it because that's 'special stuff' <my eyes are now into the back of my head>
Some of those people truly are morons and dishonest; a dangerous combination.

The Autel can do that in seconds but does a lot more too.
Good tool.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts