Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been searching around the forum and google searching about this. Can someone confirm this for me?
As long as I get an OBDII usb cable, I can use this with my SG5?

I have a laptop embedded in the car and plan on connecting it to this so I can look up codes and clear them if need be. If anyone knows about this your help would be greatly appreciated! :biggrin:

edit: After a little more research, I think I should underline the fact that I just want to read/clear codes and read realtime info from the ecu. I don't want to flash it or anything in anyway! Can anyone recommend a cable? preferable not expensive!

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
The one most people seem to use is the Tartix (Google should be able to find it) but they're not that cheap IIRC and you have to order them from the States.

You may be able to find a suitable USB -> ODBII cable on eBay (search for VAGCOM - VW diagnostics software)... this should show some results. In theory the cables they supply should work fine with things like RomRaider (check scoobypedia) as, once the drivers are installed, the cable gives your PC a USB -> Serial -> ODBII cable.

I bought a VAGCOM compatible cable off eBay and it worked fine for my wife's old Polo GTi using the demo version of VAGCOM. However, I've never tired it on a Scooby but as ODBII is a universal standard you should be able to read codes and reset things on your FXT.

I know you said that you didn't want to but if you did want to flash your ECU then the cable should allow you to do that too though you'll need to temporally short one of the connector blocks under the dash to allow you to do this. Personally, I'm not brave enough to flash my own ECU, I left that to Bob Rawle!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one most people seem to use is the Tartix (Google should be able to find it) but they're not that cheap IIRC and you have to order them from the States.

You may be able to find a suitable USB -> ODBII cable on eBay (search for VAGCOM - VW diagnostics software)... this should show some results. In theory the cables they supply should work fine with things like RomRaider (check scoobypedia) as, once the drivers are installed, the cable gives your PC a USB -> Serial -> ODBII cable.

I bought a VAGCOM compatible cable off eBay and it worked fine for my wife's old Polo GTi using the demo version of VAGCOM. However, I've never tired it on a Scooby but as ODBII is a universal standard you should be able to read codes and reset things on your FXT.

I know you said that you didn't want to but if you did want to flash your ECU then the cable should allow you to do that too though you'll need to temporally short one of the connector blocks under the dash to allow you to do this. Personally, I'm not brave enough to flash my own ECU, I left that to Bob Rawle!

Thanks for the info i shall search around!:icon_biggrin: I did suspect it was a universal standard. Ditto on the ECU flashing! im not that brave.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use this cable and software it got live data reading and if you got a touchscreen monitor and you can use the live data reading showing as gauges

EvoScan OBDII Mitsubishi MUTII DataLogger Scantool
I did come across that but I wasn't sure. I do have a touchscreen and yes the gauges are what I want. My CPC runs XP so it will be fine.

So which cable in that list do you have?

"Limitless Designs - OpenPort 1.3D USB OBDII/MUTIII/SSMII Datalogging USB Cable" -$57.00

I guess that cable would be ok? It's a just a data logging cable... I guess it can read error codes but would it be able to clear them?

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
I think the clearing aspect is a function of the software rather than the cable - don't think there are different cables for read only and read/clear

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well i'l order the $57.00 one. Thanks guys! il report back if it works.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
2009 JDM XT Forester Auto
682 Posts
All Subaru used "ISO" protocol's But not sure about "ELM" protocol's :icon_confused:

Pm's me if you need more info :biggrin:

But I've got Evoscan cable with usb connection and it can read my JDM Impreza car and my girlfriend SF5 forester.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All Subaru used "ISO" protocol's But not sure about "ELM" protocol's :icon_confused:

Pm's me if you need more info :biggrin:

But I've got Evoscan cable with usb connection and it can read my JDM Impreza car and my girlfriend SF5 forester.
is that the $57.00 one that I was looking at...or 1 of the more expensive ones that can reflash on the evoscan site?....Limitless Designs?

·
Registered
2009 JDM XT Forester Auto
682 Posts
is that the $57.00 one that I was looking at...or 1 of the more expensive ones that can reflash on the evoscan site?....Limitless Designs?
Yes. If you are ONLY need to read the live data logging and error code then the $57 will do but if you willing to reflash or rewrite the your EDU's then the more expensive cable and software needed AT YOUR OWN RISK !

Leave the remappin to the pro :cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought one of these. It arrived next day and seems to work perfectly, although I haven't been out driving with it yet.
I'v ordered this 1. If you say it works then that's good enough for me!

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
I'v ordered this 1. If you say it works then that's good enough for me!
The installation instructions were very clear, and it worked fine with the ignition on, reading temperature sensors and throttle position. I'm planning to take it on a road run on Sunday.

The seller emailed me after delivery with lots of useful info about the OBD system and he offers unlimited after-sales support if you get stuck.

You can also buy a "professional" version of the software from here:

EasyObdII - ScanTool.net OBD-II Elmscan Interface Software (Powered by CubeCart)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The installation instructions were very clear, and it worked fine with the ignition on, reading temperature sensors and throttle position. I'm planning to take it on a road run on Sunday.

The seller emailed me after delivery with lots of useful info about the OBD system and he offers unlimited after-sales support if you get stuck.

You can also buy a "professional" version of the software from here:

EasyObdII - ScanTool.net OBD-II Elmscan Interface Software (Powered by CubeCart)
Cable works for me also! thanks!

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.0 XT Manual 5
8 Posts
If you want a simple device checkout amazon uk in motor dept. They have a handheld
code reader/reset for about £25

Pete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts