Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads,

Tha wifewas driving the car home tonight whaen the yellow warning light came on and has stayed on since. I have done a search on here but couldnt make head nor tail of error codes and the like!

My main question are there more comon problems than others or is it straight to the stealers in the am. and get its fault codes read?It only got a full service all fluids changed and cam belt done.Im thinking some sensor or something?maybe maf or o2sensor?

And typically its booked in for its MOT on wednesday morning! Seems to drive ok though??

Many thanks in advance,

Derek

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
What year is your car? If its 00MY you can read the flash codes, if its 01/02 (assuming that's your car in your avatar!) any generic code reader will read the fault code.

Does it say 'check engine' on the light or is it the MIL symble of an engine with a lightning flash across it (MOT failure itself).

Simon

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It an 02 S Turbo and the light is just the yellow one shaped like an engine. Its constantly on and in the manual it says its the on board diagnostics( OBD) warning light which warns about emmisions sensors or somthing of the like like!

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the wife to drop the car down to the stealers today and the checked it over and it turns out that the pipe which joins the turbo to the manifold had a small split in it.Now the computer thinks its running lean.

So they chacked the emmisions and reset the system so that the light will stay off for a while(all free of charge!!)Just waiting for them to get back to me with a price :(

Anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Hmm exhaust pipe or pipe from turbo to intercooler, yes the latter is prone to failure and will set a MIL.

Simon

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exaust from turbo me thinks! and stealers wants 460 euros to replace!!Although I dont have much options as fuel consumption has doubeled since it went!!!

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Got the wife to drop the car down to the stealers today and the checked it over and it turns out that the pipe which joins the turbo to the manifold had a small split in it.Now the computer thinks its running lean.
Do you mean the up-pipe ? The one that comes up from the headers and into the turbo, about 14 inches long with a sliding joint in it. It's on the driver's side. If that is split then usually you can get one on ebay for a few £'s only.
Just trying to work out what is split .

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talking to the dealer I think its the down pipe, they said it was from from turbo to manifold?

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Turbo TO manifold ?

Exhaust gases leave the engine via the headers (sorry Simon !)sometimes called the exhaust manifolds and the two pipes meet up low down on the driver's side. From here a single pipe goes up to the turbo (the up-pipe). After the turbo the gases go into the exhaust down pipe, through the cat' on on to the rear.

Can't follow the dealer's terminology.

Brian

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Brian,

Not 100% sure yet myself yet ,what ever it is, its taking in way to much air and as a result fuel!Im going to have a good look myself this morning to see i can shed any light on it.

Derek.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts