Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2 recent Oak tree incidents... First when I went camping a couple weekends ago, I had to park under a VERY large Oak tree. Apparantly, it released a couple acorns from high up, and now I have a couple of obvious dents in my hood :chair: Candidate for PDR, or should I just accept the inevitable and move on?

The second was yesterday, I parked under annother oak tree at work. All of the acorns have already dropped, but I now have large spots of sap all over my finish... On the roof, hood, windows, trim EVERYWHERE! My car is brand new, and now this. :tissue::icon_frown::yell:

I have read that removing it with alchohol works, and others recommend WD40, some others still recommend Goo Gone. What is safe for Subaru paint?

Any help appreciated, I don't think I will have time to do it this week, so hopefully leaving it on the car until the weekend is OK.

-Kevin

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5X Prem
308 Posts
....no. Unfortunately, it's not "ok". You increase the risk of damaging the paint the longer you leave it on there. .....not to mention the fact that will likely be harder to remove. Same goes with bird bombs, bug splatter or any other potentially damaging substances. Denatured or IPA (isopropyl) alcohol is an effective solution for sap removal but situations vary. Just keep in mind that you will need to rewax those areas since the alcohol will remove any wax on the surface.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....no. Unfortunately, it's not "ok". You increase the risk of damaging the paint the longer you leave it on there. .....not to mention the fact that will likely be harder to remove. Same goes with bird bombs, bug splatter or any other potentially damaging substances. Denatured or IPA (isopropyl) alcohol is an effective solution for sap removal but situations vary. Just keep in mind that you will need to rewax those areas since the alcohol will remove any wax on the surface.
I have to leave it on there until this weekend... no time to do it until then, so hopefully this will not eat through my paint... I have a fairly healthy layer of wax on there now... so I hope it helps in the meantime... Thanks for the nenatured alchohol recomendation... I will pick some up.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5X Prem
308 Posts
....no problem. ....good luck. I would use a folded towel with one tip soaked in the alcohol. Hold on the sap, check and repeat. Hopefully you will begin to see it loosen up and can "gently" wipe away the residue. If some residue still remains at the end, you might try using a claybar to help clean it up.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
447 Posts
I feel ya on the acorns. We moved recently and the oak tree hanging over our driveway has beaten the crap out of our cars. I've counted 9 dents on the wifes 07 tribeca and7 on my 08 forester. We are pretty much parking on the front lawn now.....stupid tree! 7 years in the city, no dents, no scratches, no cracked windows. Move to the country and in 7 weeks I've had the dents, new scratches a cracked windshield, flat tire and the bird poop...................I don't know what the birds eat here in the country, but it strips the clear coat off in less than 24 hours! :mob:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
I feel your pain. Trees and cars, they just don't mix. About 15 yrs ago, a winter gale knocked a large tree down and crushed my crown vic:icon_mad:. December of 08, a nasty ice storm left my town w/out power for 8 days and caused a lot of damage from falling trees and branches. Had to replace a door on my Taurus ($500. deductible, argh!). The tree branch that clipped the Taurus was an oak, which was starting to overarch the driveway. Next thing it reaches will be the house. So...last week we bit the bullet and paid $400 to have the evil monster cut down. Funny...when you BUY your first house, the trees look so pretty....
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
3,123 Posts
Ha ha.......

My wife's 1998 Honda CRV finally gave up the ghost at 147K miles last month so we had to get her a replacement. Not wanting to commit to a new car as the technologies are changing so quickly, we found a lightly used 2004 CRV LX with 46K miles and NO DENTS.....a lease car.

The day after we picked it up for her, we drove under a tree on our Manchester NH street and BANG, what had to be an acorn (no kids around) hit the hood first and then bounced up to roof where it left another ding!!!

All the rain up here in New England this Spring gave the trees all they needed to produce apple-size acorns........OUCH!

Steve

·
Registered
2009 Forester
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really weird thing happened in my case... 2 days after I posted this all the sap had dissapeared (I had about 20 drips that I counted). I think when it rained, it just dissolved it... or some nice stranger took it off for me. Needless to say, I was happy to not have to do anything.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
6 Posts
3M adhesive remover works wonders. It will remove pretty much anything. I used it to remove lane marker paint my mother-in-law left on her car for a few weeks. Once done though wash and wax the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts