Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 05 Forester to the dealership when the engine lite came on. Code was PO131 "02 Sensor low voltage bank 1 sensor 1". The 02 sensor was replaced. Three months later the engine light came on again. Took it to the local garage (dealership is 1 & 3/4 hrs away). After pulling codes "PO131/POO31 - heated 02 sensor open circut-bank 1 sensor 1", they said the sensor needed to be replaced. I just can't believe I have to pay $400 again to have the same thing replaced so soon. Any insight you can give me is most appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
217 Posts
Took my 05 Forester to the dealership when the engine lite came on. Code was PO131 "02 Sensor low voltage bank 1 sensor 1". The 02 sensor was replaced. Three months later the engine light came on again. Took it to the local garage (dealership is 1 & 3/4 hrs away). After pulling codes "PO131/POO31 - heated 02 sensor open circut-bank 1 sensor 1", they said the sensor needed to be replaced. I just can't believe I have to pay $400 again to have the same thing replaced so soon. Any insight you can give me is most appreciated. Thanks!
Here's the possible causes:

-----------------------------
P0030 Subaru

HO2S11 heater control circuit

Probable Cause

1. Open or short circuit condition
2. Poor electrical connection
3. Failed HO2S11
-------------------------------
P0131 Subaru

HO2S11 Circuit Low Voltage

Probable Cause

1. Lean A/F Ratio- Check other codes first
2. Open or short circuit condition
3. HO2S heater fault
4. Faulty HO2S
----------------------------------

Sounds like the heater circuit may have problems. Are you going to try and DIY this issue?

Regards,
paul...

·
Registered
2005 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input. No way can I DYI anything on a vehicle! I'm just concerned about replacing sensor again since that's what the local garage said & wondered if that could even be possible before I take it to the dealership garage. Until I moved & bought the Forester I had the same mechanic service my car for over 30 years! The one time I made an exception was a major rip off so I'm leary of new mechanic experiences!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
217 Posts
Thank you for your input. No way can I DYI anything on a vehicle! I'm just concerned about replacing sensor again since that's what the local garage said & wondered if that could even be possible before I take it to the dealership garage. Until I moved & bought the Forester I had the same mechanic service my car for over 30 years! The one time I made an exception was a major rip off so I'm leary of new mechanic experiences!
Where are you in New England? I know someone in Natick MA that services everything and he also has an engineering background so troubleshooting engine mgt systems is easy for him. Send me a PM if you need more info.

Regards,
paul...

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
While not supper common it's happened before where a new sensor went bad. Still, if it was replaced not too long ago it should be covered from the dealer. Have you called them and checked? There should be some sort of warranty on the part.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
OEM parts carry a 12 month warranty. Replacement should be free on the part, but you may have to pay the labor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts