Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Subie Ourback wagon with 114K miles. Curious how about 4 things: 1) how difficult is it to change the O2 sensor (and is there more than one? 2) where is it/they located; 3) how expensive are they? 4) how do I shut the check engine light off? THANKS.........John N.

·
Registered
377 Posts
1), 2) If Outback same as Forester it's pretty easy. You will need to elevate the car for access. O2 sensor is on forward end of catalytic converter downstream of Y-pipe intersection. You will need an O2 sensor socket or correct open-end wrench (22mm?) to release. O2 sensor can be very tight. I've had to use a hammer on end of open end wrench to break loose.

3) You can find them on ebay or www for < $50. You can get them pre-wired or universal (you splice to old plug harness ends). I've done both on various vehicles w/ success.

4) If CEL is due to O2 sensor, it will reset itself after a short time, depending on the CEL code set. What code did you have? Heater circuit fault code will reset immediately, while others may take some time.

good luck

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
You will need an O2 sensor socket or correct open-end wrench (22mm?) to release.
Something like this 22mm O2 sensor socket::

Sears carries a wide range of these tools.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 Forester
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all..........this is exactly what I needed to know. I haven't got a code yet....old guy with minimal "computer" skills...but am bringing it in to a local guy for that. I'm guessing it will be O2 sensors bec. the car has 114K on it and old guys think like that :) I also wanted to get a feel for the cost of a sensor because I've heard people get charged $150 just for a sensor in my area....Will try to remember to post a report on what it turns out to be....Thanks again. John N

1 - 5 of 5 Posts