Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FORESTERS IN THE FOREST.

Anyone fancy driving a few forest fire roads in and around Dalby, Wykeham, Broxa and Langdale Forests? These forests are on the North Yorkshire Moors just above Pickering and very near Scarborough.
It will be based around Dalby Forest Drive(Marked on most road maps) but will include any gravel roads which look interesting. Many of the roads are gravel and should be wet with plenty of puddles at this time of year. A kind of RAC forest rally stage kind of thing i guess.
If anyone knows the area or has driven them before, speak up.
I'll contact Scarborough council to check all roads are open in the forests.

This pic was taken in Dalby forest last year and shows the state my foz was in when driving slowly. Just a thin film of white from the gravel/limestone hardcore.

Date and time TBA.

Who's in?

1. mdg
2. R5oss
3. Guinness

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
963 Posts
That lovely lady and baby :icon_question:, did you kidnap them.....

Although they do look happy, perhaps that's cos you are about to take a step back and try to fall off the mountain, again ! :raspberry:

ps: me's in

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
I'd be interested if it's more likely to be in December. Still got a few jobs to do on my car that will keep me busy until the end of the month.

Not sure what the missus will think but I'm sure our 3 year old would like it :)

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Under normal circumstances I would have said Yes as in-laws live in Scarborough and I could stay there but one is in/out hospital at the moment and wife is on a 24hr alert , so not possible at the moment.
Have fun.

Brian

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Aaaahaaaaa. I knew the rally footage would get you lot motivated.

It's up to you lot when we go (so don't count yourself out yet Brian).

Neil8p.....Where do you live and whats up with it?

Does anyone know if 'jdmforest' is still on the forum as he knows the area well and could be a real asset to the trip.

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
mdg - I live in Doncaster, not far from M18 J4. The main problem is the rear bearings which are now stupidly loud. I planned on doing them myself but I don't get a lot of time spare and I need the car on the road, so I've bitten the bullet and it's going in to a garage at the weekend.

As well as the bearings, seeing as it's going in I'm getting all the stuff done I've been meaning to do but not had chance - find out which cv is clicking and replace, replace split front cv boot, change PAS fluid, new discs and pads all round, change brake fluid, new rear drop links, and do 4 wheel alignment. Hoping santa brings me a nice bonus from work this year to pay for it all!

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you fancy getting your hands dirty? PAS fluid change is easy. New discs and pads is easier. Can do the brake fluid when doing the pads and the rear drop links are a doddle. I think i've just saved you £300. The CV boot however is a little more involved and i've only ever done a front inner.
Lots of info on here and pics. Need a hand, let me know.

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
How do you fancy getting your hands dirty? PAS fluid change is easy. New discs and pads is easier. Can do the brake fluid when doing the pads and the rear drop links are a doddle. I think i've just saved you £300. The CV boot however is a little more involved and i've only ever done a front inner.
Lots of info on here and pics. Need a hand, let me know.
Cheers for the offer, much appreciated. It's got to the state it has as I've been hanging on to do it myself as I didn't want to pay a garage. I've been researching on here, and have the tools and inclination but have been struggling to find the time recently.

I may just get the garage to quote to start with, we are long standing customers so they may do me a reasonable deal, but if I'm looking at a bill for £several hundred I may take you up on your offer!

I mentioned the idea of a drive through the forest and the missus seems keen, although she's hoping we don't need a roof box to do it :shrug:

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
nov/dec are my busiest months, so we'll see how it goes. The wife owes me a weekend pass but my business is my mistress so we'll see.
The excuses are wearing thin. We're all gonna come up your end and make you come one day if you dont start making yourself come.

(wait for it)

Should we say Sunday 13th December for starters? Sunday before(6th) or after(20th) maybe?

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
229 Posts
You can add my name to the list :woohoo:

@ Neil8p, I'm in Doncaster too :icon_biggrin:.

I agree with mdg some of the jobs are easy DIY, if you decide to have a go yourself I'd also be happy to help. The rear bearing's and driveshaft's will probably be a garage only job, and make sure you're sitting down when they give you a quote.

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
You can add my name to the list :woohoo:

@ Neil8p, I'm in Doncaster too :icon_biggrin:.

I agree with mdg some of the jobs are easy DIY, if you decide to have a go yourself I'd also be happy to help. The rear bearing's and driveshaft's will probably be a garage only job, and make sure you're sitting down when they give you a quote.
:biggrin: Where abouts are you? I'm in Edenthorpe.

Really appreciate the offers of help. I've spoken to the garage and going to get them to look at the bearings and a clicky cv joint, the rest I'm going to tackle myself when I've been shopping for parts. Not bought any tools for a while and I so wanted to buy a brearing press :icon_biggrin: but can't justify it as I don't need it for any of the other cars we have. I've already done a service on the forester, including a plug change which wasn't too bad, so I will find the time to do these other jobs.

The garage quoted 1.5 hours labour per rear wheel bearing which works out at £70, plus parts and I've got quotes for bearing kits between £30 and £50. I looked at the upgraded taper rear bearings but they work out at around £140 per wheel :icon_eek:

Just have to fix the alternator on another car so I can get to work on monday.. :icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
229 Posts
I live on York road, near where the old B&Q used to be.

Which garage are you using? If it's DP Auto's in Edenthorpe, I used to work there :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Neil8p....Should get sorted in time with 3 of us on it.

Anyway, back to Foresters in the Forest. Is it gonna be 6th/13th/20th December for the run or will it be late November?

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
522 Posts
well, I definitely can't do the end of November, but then again I'm only 50% sure I will be able to make it any time so don't make any plans around me!

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
229 Posts
Nor me, I'm still working 7 days a week at the moment so whichever day you choose, I'll probably have to book a day off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts