Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XT Sport 5-speed
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a car forum isn't the best place for this question as everyone will be fairly biased, but I'm not sure where else to go. I'm trying to figure out if I should keep my car or sell it. I have one of the 200 08' fxt sports with the 5mt. I've loved the car since I first saw it at the dealer, and it took me years to find one. I had to put the car into storage when I moved, and what I had planned to be 6 months of storage turned into 6 years. I recently got the car out of storage, and brought it to one of the best subie shops on the east coast, to have them go through it...well they found that the head gasket is about to let go...So the engine needs to be pulled, and at minimum the top end rebuilt. Not normally that big a deal, except my wife and I are expecting kiddo #2 in a couple months, and my wife is leaving her job. So we have been saving her income as my income will barely cover our monthly bills...That means the car will need to go back into storage, as I don't have the money to fix it at the moment...I'm afraid that it is going to be years before it comes out of storage again, and who knows what other issues it will develop. I don't want to lose this car, I love it, but am I just being stupid and slowly killing a great car by letting it sit instead of just selling it?

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
326 Posts
I'm halfway between "young" and "middle aged". Having watched a few friends go through your scenario, I would say you've already made your decision 6 years ago. Just sell it.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,622 Posts
These are worth a pretty penny especially if in good condition. The value of it will be impacted pretty significantly with head gasket issues. Moreso than the costs of repairing it, IMO. If I were you I would do the bare minimum involved in getting the head gasket repaired so that it passes a pre-inspection and sell it. You will recoup your money invested in the additional value added compared to if you sold it outright with a head gasket problem, IMO.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sport 5-speed
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm halfway between "young" and "middle aged". Having watched a few friends go through your scenario, I would say you've already made your decision 6 years ago. Just sell it.
The storage was a bit more involved than that, in that we moved from the east coast of the US to Alaska, and so the car had to go into storage so I could drive my truck and trailer with all of our stuff out there. Then getting a car moved 5000+ miles across the great country of Canada, becomes a very complicated & expensive project.

These are worth a pretty penny especially if in good condition. The value of it will be impacted pretty significantly with head gasket issues. Moreso than the costs of repairing it, IMO. If I were you I would do the bare minimum involved in getting the head gasket repaired so that it passes a pre-inspection and sell it. You will recoup your money invested in the additional value added compared to if you sold it outright with a head gasket problem, IMO.
The car is in great shape, and likely the lowest mileage one in the country. (only about 45K) That's kinda the issue, besides it being extremely rare, it is in great shape...If I were to fix the HG issue I'll just keep it...The HG isn't blown yet, the car can be driven but the shop told me they have had several over cars come in with the same symptoms, and the HG failed shortly after.

I'm hoping I can save my pennies, and sell some other stuff so that I can pull it out of storage next spring and get the engine fixed...The only reason I am hesitant is what happens If I can't save up enough over the winter...then how long do I leave it in storage.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
31 Posts
Cars do not like to sit in storage unless they're regularly started and run. But you know this. I'm middle aged, been where you are. I agree with @RyanT above. Sell it. Be done with it. Be honest when selling - it's going to need a head gasket soon, but you can drive it for a while as-is. It's a desirable car, and when someone buys it with eyes open, it will then be their issue. When it's gone, you can move forward and determine your financial situation with this behind you. I know you love the car, but there will be others. Let the mental energy go. Just my $.02. Cheers.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT 5-Speed Manual
944 Posts
Cars do not like to sit in storage unless they're regularly started and run. But you know this. I'm middle aged, been where you are. I agree with @RyanT above. Sell it. Be done with it. Be honest when selling - it's going to need a head gasket soon, but you can drive it for a while as-is. It's a desirable car, and when someone buys it with eyes open, it will then be their issue. When it's gone, you can move forward and determine your financial situation with this behind you. I know you love the car, but there will be others. Let the mental energy go. Just my $.02. Cheers.
I agree. Sell it as-is. If your situation were different it might make sense to keep it but it sounds like selling it is the smart money. It sounds like an excellent condition low mileage car and being an 08 WRB 5mt : very rare. Any buyer worth their salt will understand how rare it is and will also know that just about *any* SG forester being sold today carries a significant risk of requiring a head gasket job, unless it has a brand new motor, or recent head job.

I would detail it, take excellent mouth-watering photos, disclose the imminent head-gasket condition: and find yourself a good buyer who plans on building it out, and is happy to have encountered an honest seller. I would imagine you can still get good money for it that way if you are patient.

Best of luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts