Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back (Wednesday evening) from driving Townsville - Caloundra a total of 1,284 kms (800 US miles) in 13.40 hrs in my daughters Mazda 6

if the Subaru Liberty could match the boot space - performance and roominess of this car I would not be a Forester owner today, this car is a dream to drive and with Subaru's AWD it would be an awesome machine.

We had this car loaded to the gunnels there was not 1 inch of space left in the boot, we had clothes - shoes etc packed into every spare inch, te back seat was loaded to capacity also and we were getting 8.0 L/100k or 29 US MPG cruising at 70 mph (thanks to onboard trip computer).

In closing, I was very surprised with the performance and comfort of this car.
One niggly problem is the distance between the pedals, I couldn't get my foot between the brake and the gas pedal with my Colorado's on unless I turned my foot on it's side.

Score: 7/10

·
Administrator
15,128 Posts
There are a nice car for sure. I was travelling in a relative's Mazda 6 just a couple of weeks ago. Nice ride; Bose sound; very relaxed feel.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kevin said:
There are a nice car for sure. I was travelling in a relative's Mazda 6 just a couple of weeks ago. Nice ride; Bose sound; very relaxed feel.
Also having the Cruise Control and Radio Controls on the steering wheel is a blessing too Kevin, Bose sound is a move up on ours :-(

I'm not overly keen on the back seat release controls in the boot either, but that is a user like/dislike.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Casper said:
if the Subaru Liberty could match the boot space - performance and roominess of this car I would not be a Forester owner today, this car is a dream to drive and with Subaru's AWD it would be an awesome machine.
I see that you guys do not get the turbo equipped Liberty [Legacy GT] downunder. I test drove the Mazda 6 and no way it's better than the LGT. Not even close. Maybe it's different down there, but here in the US, the 6 felt cheap inside & out compared to the LGT. Even if it felt better, I wouldn't drive anything with FORD parts.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Hmm...maybe we can test drive both. You take the Legacy GT, and I'll take the Mazda 6. We'll go around Panoramic Highway, and Fairfax-Bolinas Rd., and we'll see who has the better handling.

·
Administrator
15,128 Posts

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Roo said:
Hmm...maybe we can test drive both. You take the Legacy GT, and I'll take the Mazda 6. We'll go around Panoramic Highway, and Fairfax-Bolinas Rd., and we'll see who has the better handling.
Is fairfax-bolinas rd anything like Kings Mnt Road in La Honda? If so, sure! I'd take AWD over FWD anyday.

This reminds me of the chat I had with a friend regarding Acura RSX. It may handle 'better', but it's not a better vehicle.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
After reading my posts again, it had occured to me that I may came off a bit rude, as Casper is just trying to share his experience with the Mazda 6. For that, I apologize Casper.

I'm not too fond of Mazda because I had a bad experience with two of their products plus the dealership my family bought the vehicles from is quite shady. Mazda didn't seemed to care much when we reported our experience, hense my agression toward the company and its products.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
SKSTI said:
Is fairfax-bolinas rd anything like Kings Mnt Road in La Honda? If so, sure! I'd take AWD over FWD anyday.

This reminds me of the chat I had with a friend regarding Acura RSX. It may handle 'better', but it's not a better vehicle.
Think of Fairfax-Bolinas Rd. as the "Tail of the Dragon," West Coast edition... :devilgrin

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Ah, thanks for the map! I think I've ridden through it once. I remember resting by Alpine Lake with a group of riders, but that was years ago. All my driving/riding is down south - usually from Woodside, looping down to Henry Cowell Redwoods St. Park and back.

*Sorry to go OT*

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SKSTI said:
After reading my posts again, it had occured to me that I may came off a bit rude, as Casper is just trying to share his experience with the Mazda 6. For that, I apologize Casper.

I'm not too fond of Mazda because I had a bad experience with two of their products plus the dealership my family bought the vehicles from is quite shady. Mazda didn't seemed to care much when we reported our experience, hence my agression toward the company and its products.
No probs matey! You were expressing your point of view of the Mazda 6 v LGT you weren't attacking me personally.

The Dealer where my daughter bought her Mazda is also the Subaru Dealer where I bought my 1st Subaru an MY01 RX Liberty, this dealership is one to be held up a role model for others to emulate. The owner has his own STi WRX that he races and his Father owns the Ford dealership.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The base Mazda 6 shouldn't be compared to the Leg GT. Step up to the Mazdaspeed 6 to compare. I watched a brand new one get dynoed last weeked. 230 whp and 260 ft-lbs to the wheels. Very nice.

It suffers from a horrible TMIC though.

Frank

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Horrible TMIC = invitation to mod, as far as I'm concerned.

Scary that mazda was able to eek that kind of power out of the same 2.3L engine that's all over the place in the ford model range.

Would be sort of fun to see similar power levels on, say... a ford ranger

·
Registered
859 Posts
Problem with the TMIC was that it was very thin, maybe 2 inches thick, and there didn't appear to be much clearance or room for something bigger in a TMIC. I didn't look at the front bumper to see if an FMIC was easily doable.

Frank

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
I imagine some enterprising folk will come up with a solution. I feel like a japanese sports car at this price range, with a turbo, but without any intercooler upgrades would be a first. I'm sure there are already intakes/headers, turbo upgrades in the works as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts