Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have just put everything back together after changing my head gaskets and last reconnected the fuel pump relay and now when i try and start the engine I can't get it to turn over.

I think I have a lack of fuel issue. I looked on the Hanes Manual about this it says to listen at the filler cap for whirring when you turn the ignition on which we did and there was no sound at all.

Is it common for the fuel pump relay to die? Or is it more likely something else? I can try and link a audio file of my car trying to start if it would be more helpful?

Thanks for any help.

98 Subaru Forester S with 240,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
52 Posts
check the common stuff
is the battery connected?
is your timing belt all lined up?

not trying to be mean or rude
but just go over it and check the super simple stuff

·
Registered
98 Forester
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check the common stuff
is the battery connected?
is your timing belt all lined up?

not trying to be mean or rude
No worries, the battery is connected, the car does try to start but never really fire up.

The timing belt should be fine, we went over that thing so many times to double and triple check everything.

·
Registered
05 FXT 5MT
255 Posts
Are you sure the pump isn't running? I've put the fuel lines on reversed once. Wouldn't run, but would fire if I keyed on and off a few times prior to cranking. Feed (from filter) goes on top nipple. Return on bottom. Vent is smaller and has a spring clamp.

I can't think of any reason to touch wiring to the pump for a headgasket job.....this makes it kind of odd to hear about.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
check the common stuff....

Agreed.

verify spark.
If no spark check cam and crank position sensors.

Fuel? Do you here the fuel pump prime?
If no verify the relay is good/bad. Do you hear it click when you turn the ing. switch on?

Engine harness plugged in? Any pinched wires? Any popped fuses?

·
Registered
98 Forester
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed.

verify spark.
If no spark check cam and crank position sensors.

Fuel? Do you here the fuel pump prime?
If no verify the relay is good/bad. Do you hear it click when you turn the ing. switch on?

Engine harness plugged in? Any pinched wires? Any popped fuses?
I will check the spark plug wires. We checked the Fuel Pump Relay and it's clicks when we turn the ignition. Currently we do not hear the pump running so I am going to test it directly. I do know that there is no fuel getting to the engine as we took the fuel lines off and they are empty.

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
after I did my HG I had the same problem. Some how the fuse for the ecu popped on me changed it and it started

·
Registered
98 Forester
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after I did my HG I had the same problem. Some how the fuse for the ecu popped on me changed it and it started
The ECU is the computer right? I borrowed one of the computer readers to see if it says anything and the reader displays that it can't connect to the computer. I will check the fuse and report back

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Have you checked all the fuses inside and out in the engine bay I believe the fuses locations are printed on the inside of the covers

·
Registered
98 Forester
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where would I find the ECU fuse? As it's not in the haynes manual
For future use the fuse is SPF 5 (30A).

Started it up which was great it shot up to 3,000 Revs and then dropped back down and stalled. Upon inspection there was a burning rubber smell and a slight smoking coming from the Timing Belt cover. I have further investigated the issue and it looks like the timing belt is slipping on the sprockets which make me wonder if the Tensioner I bought from the local dealer is dodgy.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Glad you got it fired up, keep us posted :icon_wink:

·
Registered
98 Forester
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the timing belt appears to have sliped but we checked the sprockets and they are still aligned. I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else before.

The Car is running (sort of) :icon_sad:. When I start it up it shoots up to 3,000 RPM sits there for a couple of seconds and then drops.

At low revs there is a lot of coughing and it seems to be struggling to keep running. Often it just stalls.

I have replaced the spark plugs, water pump, tensioner, timing belt, head gaskets and a bunch of other gaskets, some hoses.

We checked to see if any of the sparks plugs weren't running and they all seem to be firing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
Is the timing off? Pull the covers and triple check.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
COUNT the teeth between the marks on the belt and the marks on the pulleys (a Subaru manual will tell you the proper tooth count, NOT a crappy Haynes or Chilton manual......I have both, they're both horrible). I paid $35 bucks at the Subaru Technical website and downloaded the proper manuals.......WELL worth it.

Even if the timing is off a tooth or two, the damage could have already been done (especially if you smelt burnt rubber from the timing belt area). It might have slipped and bent valves. Do you hear any mechanical tapping or rattling from the engine when it was running rough?

Also, when everything was being put back together, do all the cam sprockets spin freely, or were they stiff?

·
Registered
98 Forester
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is the timing off? Pull the covers and triple check.
If there a way to pull the covers without having to take off the Alternator, Power-steering pump and AC Compressor?

·
Registered
98 Forester
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
COUNT the teeth between the marks on the belt and the marks on the pulleys (a Subaru manual will tell you the proper tooth count, NOT a crappy Haynes or Chilton manual......I have both, they're both horrible). I paid $35 bucks at the Subaru Technical website and downloaded the proper manuals.......WELL worth it.?
I will check it out

Even if the timing is off a tooth or two, the damage could have already been done (especially if you smelt burnt rubber from the timing belt area). It might have slipped and bent valves. Do you hear any mechanical tapping or rattling from the engine when it was running rough?
We worked out the smell and smoke was coming from old oil and gunk burning on the exhaust

Also, when everything was being put back together, do all the cam sprockets spin freely, or were they stiff
All the sprockets were spinning very freely when ti went back together.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts