Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forrester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of noises can a deteriorting timing belt make . I was some distance from my home when I noticed a clanking sound coming from the front of my motor . Stopped at a loacal garage and they said it was a possably a bearing on one of the pulleys. I had to make the appointment I was there for ...Noticed the sound as I started to head for home so I stopped at another garage on the way .Well as these things go with cars there was no sound and things seemed normal :huh:....I went home and had my neighbor pop over for a look see started the car and again very little noise (just a higher pitched idling sound) restarted the car and an awful rumbling came from the front of the engine. As we were trying to test the pulleys the car just stopped .It will turn over but not start .This happend at very low rpms so I am hoping that it may just be the timing belt and what ever was making the noise ..so any Ideas ..Really need my car for work any help will be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
One of the tensioner bearings probably let go.

It happened on my 98. I thought the waterpump let go, because it would periodically overheat. I got the covers off, and found the belt had jumped a few teeth on one of the cams, and was one tooth off from destroying everything. Water pump was fine though. Replaced the belt, the tensioner, and all the pulleys and it was good for another 60k until I sold it. I think its probably still holding up well.

I would get the covers off right away, and check the timing.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
NOTE: 2000 Forester according to rmca99 profile.

I would venture a guess that one of the timing belt idlers ate it self. It happens. It usually is not cheap to repair either. When engines start making bad noises it is usually a good choice to shut it down to try and localize the damage.

Chances are the failing pulley shredded/broke the timing belt, which is not horribly expensive to fix in and of its self($400-$800USD). It is the collateral damage that it can cause that may have you looking for a used engine vs. repairing yours. More often then not when the timing belt breaks some of the valves in the cylinder heads will be open. As these are interference engines chances are some of the valves are now bent and will need to be replaced.

To find out if the valves are bent one can either put a new timing belt on to see if they just won the lottery and do a leak down test and compression test on each cylinder. If it passes you are that lucky 1 in a 10,000. If it fails you have to disassemble the engine(remove the cylinder heads) to find the extent of the damage, adding labor on top of what you already paid to install the new belt......

Option two, tear the engine down on the assumption that the valves are bent and repair as needed.

Option 3, look for a low mileage replacement and install a new timing belt, idlers, water pump before installing it.

If a shop is doing the work, expect a rough estimate on the repair cost of replacing belt valves and the associated work to be between $2000-$3500USD.

A replacement used engine in the US can be any where from $400-$2000USD and figure $500USD to remove and replace yours, plus replacing the timing belt, idlers, water pump before installing it(about $600-800).

As a note the timing belt has a replacement interval of 105,000 miles and __ number of years(10 I believe). If it has been done and any one of the idlers, tensioner, water pump was not replaced now you get to pay that price and then some.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Parts and labor for a timing belt job isn't terrible, it's mostly labor because things like the radiator have to come out.

·
Registered
2000 Forrester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to loosen the right portion of the timing belt cover and the belt is still in place ....phew So will a seized belt pulley / tensioner prevent the motor from turning over ?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
It doesn't matter if the belt is still in place, you need to check if it jumped teeth.

DO NOT TRY TO START THE CAR AGAIN.

·
Registered
2000 Forrester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess what I am saying is that because the belt is still in place I hope that this prevented damaging the valves and all I have to do is replace the belt ....Most posts I have read indicate belt shreading and breakage doing the damage to the valves ..I will find out tomorrow gonna tear it apart ..
Thanks for the help it is appreciated

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
How about the water pump? The one on my wifes car went to hell. It was making an awful noise. Her car sounded like a diesel it was so bad.

·
Registered
2000 Forrester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok cover is off ..it appear that the lower right tensioner just blew up ...The timing indicaters are all about 2 oclock ..I spoke to a Subaru mechanic last night and he indicated that if the timing indicaters were all still the same that it may have not jumped timing thus preventing the worst case ..any confirmation regarding this

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
What do you mean the timing indicators are all at 2 oclock? It doesn't matter what they look like unless you actually follow the check procedure.

The belt doesn't have to shred to jump teeth. Mine was in tact (mostly) and had one cam jump.

·
Registered
2000 Forrester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check Procedure ? both cam timing marks are sitting at 2 Oclock ...What check procedure are you refering to please

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
You will have to align the crank timing mark at the 12 O'clock position and see where the cam pulley timing marks land, they should also be at 12 O'clock.

There are DIY guides for timing belts on this forum, take a look through those or grab a shop manual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts