Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Where should the Northeast meet be for 2010?

1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright ladies and gents, it is that time of the year again. Last year we held it at Lake Placid with Remmy hosting most of the festivities and it was a blast!

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f73/north-east-forester-meet-forest-44850/

Anyone and everyone is invited, Subaru or not. Now we need to start deciding on some activities now that Cooperstown, NY has been chosen as the most viable locale. For a full weekend of stuff we will be planning for maybe a three day plan for the 9, 10, and 11 of October.

Now that we have chosen the location we need general interest for everyone to attend, the weekend does not have to be entirely of everyone hanging together but we should plan 2-3 major activities. Some general things and lodging ideas from Singin: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...et-forest-2010-a-75986/index2.html#post871237

NOTE: If you are from the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT) Please respond to the Tristate Area members thread:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f73/official-tristate-ny-nj-ct-owners-list-78730/#post871161

Some pics from last year to get an idea of the things we did at Lake Placid:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f74/northeast-forester-meet-forest-picture-thread-61887/

Attending List:

-Real Lyte
-SingingCanary (bring fireworks ppl!)
-Duderotomy (2x subies wewt+dogs and fam)
-phmancus (wewt beer)
-guroove (inny or outty?)

Activity Ideas:
Fly Creek Cider Mill & Orchard - Fly Creek Home
Baseball Hall of Fame |
The Farmers' Museum
Fenimore Art Museum
http://www.bearpondwines.com/
Brewery Ommegang. Belgian brewing in America.
Cooperstown Brewing
http://www.lrhs.com/sched2010.htm

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's get plannin'!

My vote is still down for Cooperstown, but white water rafting does sound fun...
Aight, that's one person lol. I'm gonna wait until the end of the month to start polls just in case we get some good ideas.

·
Registered
246 Posts
pretty much count me in....I love a good road trip! Im into all outdoorsy activities so I can bring whatever, my mtb, rockclimbing gear, hiking boots, or a vest for rafting

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pretty much count me in....I love a good road trip! Im into all outdoorsy activities so I can bring whatever, my mtb, rockclimbing gear, hiking boots, or a vest for rafting
I personally like outdoor activities and inside if it involves something interesting...like beer lol.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please keep in mind the central notion of each area as most of us are in the northeast when deciding location. However, Virginia is possible if there was enough stuff to do for everyone.

·
Registered
1995 Legacy Sedan
94 Posts
Alright ladies and gents, it is that time of the year again, we need to choose where we want the meet. Last year we held it at Lake Placid with Remmy hosting most of the festivities and it was a blast!

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f73/north-east-forester-meet-forest-44850/

Anyone and everyone is invited, Subaru or not. Now we need to start deciding on location and activities to accompany. It looks like labor day falls on September 6th this year so maybe a three day plan for the 4, 5, and 6 of September.

So far as suggestions that I compiled from the old thread we have (we will vote within the next month on these choices and others suggested):

-Lake Placid like last year
-Cooperstown, NY (per me)
-West Virginia for rafting (maybe other things too as this limits the crowd going) (per Tuned)
-Bear Mountain, NY (per Calamity)
-Mt. Washington (per Canonshooter)
-Delaware river (per Canary)

We also need general interest in activities to cater to most of the people, not everyone has to do the same thing all three days so it might be best to choose a diverse activity area. Whoever is most familiar with whatever area we choose should try to take lead as the most knowledgeable for activities.

Be sure to consider location as a function of how far it is from the majority of people too because if we go too far one way or another it might limit the group.

Some pics from last year to get an idea of the things we did at Lake Placid:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f74/northeast-forester-meet-forest-picture-thread-61887/
And by Labor Day... he actually meant Columbus Day (that is when we all met up last year). Columbus day weekend falls on October 9th(Sat), 10th, and 11th. I'm sure Labor day is still fine if more people can make it then, but if we care about fall foliage, the leaves are going to be at their peak in most of NY right around Columbus day weekend.

I don't want to disclude anyone here, but I think we should all keep in mind a central location, there are lots of people coming from everywhere. I also think we should pick somewhere with diverse activities because not everyone would enjoy the same things.

I personally am all for Cooperstown, not just because we live in this area. There are TONS of things to do here from Breweries and Wineries, to the Baseball Hall of Fame, the touristy downtown Cooperstown Area, the James Fenimore Cooper Art museum, the Farmers museum. There's also beautiful Glimmerglass state park (which I believe has camping then for whoever may be interested in that). Hiking. I know there is a kayak place down the road. There is also a small off roading (ish) trail. Also, close by is Norwich (classic car museum), Utica (Saranac Brewery), The Binghamton area, and Ithaca, which has so much fun stuff to do!

Of course I am open to anything, but to those of you suggesting areas, I recommend making a post on here detailing what there is to do in that area and surrounding areas, to help us get a better idea for when we vote.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
About the only place that I'd be able to do in October will be Cooperstown. Wife will be in the last month/weeks of pregnancy and maybe we can have our baby shower (sorry, but family only) that weekend as well.

My mother has the bed and breakfast in Cooperstown, my family has a summer house on the lake in Cooperstown, and my uncle has 100 acres with a pond over the hill from the lake. Camping could be had at Glimmerglass State Park, our lake house or my uncles back yard. There are 3 bedrooms (2 with 1 bed, 1 with 2 beds) and 1 bathroom. I'll check availability with my folks for those weekends.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
About the only place that I'd be able to do in October will be Cooperstown. Wife will be in the last month/weeks of pregnancy and maybe we can have our baby shower (sorry, but family only) that weekend as well.

My mother has the bed and breakfast in Cooperstown, my family has a summer house on the lake in Cooperstown, and my uncle has 100 acres with a pond over the hill from the lake. Camping could be had at Glimmerglass State Park, our lake house or my uncles back yard. There are 3 bedrooms (2 with 1 bed, 1 with 2 beds) and 1 bathroom. I'll check availability with my folks for those weekends.
this could be fun!!
what number child is this bruce?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I fixed the date, columbus day weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving) is the actual date that would be best with the leaves at peak, 9-11th of Oct.

i could be down for anything. I don't believe in camping though, so there would have to be hotels in the area
There are many motels/b and b's here, I can host 2-3 ppl max in our apartment.

That sounds like a good idea then, where on Otsego Lake is the summer house (I work at the Biological Field Station 6 miles up the lake)? And aww I wanted to goto a baby shower! lolz...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Everyone coming from the south we should all meet eventually on our way up and roll out caravan style

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
I'm not too picky... but if I had to choose it'd be any of them but Mt. Washington. That one would be a 10½ hour drive for me, which is a little too far.

I can do Lake Placid or Fayetteville, WV (white water rafting) in 7½ just like the drive out to Massachusetts for WBM. I don't feel like driving too much more than that... just sayin.

·
Registered
1995 Legacy Sedan
94 Posts
Bumpity for really thinking about this, the plan is to vote at the end of the month. More info on other places would be good, I've heard a lot of people mention Mt. Washington, but I don't know anything about it, if someone could post some info about it that would be great!

1 - 20 of 255 Posts