Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
04 fxt
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i am newer to this forum, well bought the car 2 weeks ago, but i am looking at buying a used sti tmic. But i have never bought one before, i am curious what to look out for other than the obvious(bent fins/dent/neglect). found a local one for $200 w/Y-pipe and Stock BPV. mileage is unknown, looks to be in good condition. talking the seller already and he say its in good condition... any help is good. thanks

-isaac

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
These thing are pretty simple in function & form. If the outside looks good then you should be good to go.
If I were able to inspect prior to purchase, I check what you mentioned above plus the following:
- evidence of the short sides having been straightened. May be due to crash or being droped.
- Oil or oil stains visible inside the TMIC. Heavy presence of oil internally, especially if it is baked on or caked, could result in reduced flow. Very unlikely IMO.
- Make sure there is no noise when you give it a firm shake. Anything bouncing around on the TMIC can be expected to make it into the engine.
- Check for random holes in the body...duh, but there is no telling what you
might come across out there.

That's all I can think of.
GL

·
Registered
04 fxt
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tips, didnt think about shaking it, the pics make it look like its in pretty good condition, ill hopefully pic it up this weekend or tomorrow:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
My pleasure, hope it works out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts