Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester L 5 M/T
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I did a little bit of searching around the forum for valve lash adjustment but all of them were done with the t belt installed. I just put in new valves/etc and did the head gaskets.

Anyway should I turn both the cams to 12 o'clock postion and install the t belt then set valve lash. (Crank is at the service position) so pistons hitting valves isnt a concern.

Or

should I set valve lash by turning the cam sporcketa indivually using the timing arrows to set lash for each cylinder?

When I did number 1 it was difficult to get the lash set because of having to hold the pulley under the pressure of the springs on the rocker arms. Should I be setting lash at the point where there is no resistance even though the tdc arrow isnt totally lined up?

Sorry for the format/length. Im postinv this from my phone. Thanks for any advice you can give a subaru newbie.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
You can theoretically do it either way.

As long as the adjustment is made while the rocker tip is on the base circle of the lobe profile and not on a ramp of the lobe it will come out fine. The timing marks only ensure you are at these points and they allow for there to be a specific written and indicated points for people to follow in a manual.

I would suggest doing it with the timing belt fully installed. Even though the lash may not be set it still keeps everything in time(crank and cam/s). When doing a rebuild I install the belt and spin it over twice at which point I check the tooth count on the belt spacings before I have the rocker arms/shafts installed. That way even if something were to slip there is zero chance of a bent valve as none can be open even if it is out of time.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L 5 M/T
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can theoretically do it either way.

As long as the adjustment is made while the rocker tip is on the base circle of the lobe profile and not on a ramp of the lobe it will come out fine. The timing marks only ensure you are at these points and they allow for there to be a specific written and indicated points for people to follow in a manual.

I would suggest doing it with the timing belt fully installed. Even though the lash may not be set it still keeps everything in time(crank and cam/s). When doing a rebuild I install the belt and spin it over twice at which point I check the tooth count on the belt spacings before I have the rocker arms/shafts installed. That way even if something were to slip there is zero chance of a bent valve as none can be open even if it is out of time.
Alright. Thanks. Will do that this weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts