Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SG9 X
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well noob questions for foresters (got a 87 RX turbo at the moment) and yes i have searched, but i cant really find what i'm looking for.

first question is with the SF - 2" body lift, 2" suspension lift (4" at the end of the day), what tires can you run using 15's?

secondly, i have been reading that the spring mount on the strut is the problem (no idea what it's really called) for fitting larger tires. what about coilovers? does that solve the problem?

thirdly, assuming 4" total lift, and no other fitment issues with the strut, what tires can fit without cutting the fenders? 235/75/15???

that's about all i have for now. thanks!

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
632 Posts
And you've tried the search option on here first? A lot of times those questions are answered already..You may have to search for a bit but I always check everything before. There's a lot about lifting, spacers, wheel size etc already on here..

The Dude~

·
Registered
04 Forester XT Rinspeed manual 5 speed
740 Posts
Hi!

225/75 R15 is maximum i think without changing anything but the 4" lift... but maybe with some rubbing when front wheels are fully turned to one side

On my XT i have 215/65 R16 and no larger ones will fit without rubbing :( (original struts) maybe with kyb there is a bit more space...

But there are more experienced people around here to tell you exactly what setup you can run!

·
Registered
2006 SG9 X
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep tried searching. did a lot of reading, but there's no general consensus unlike the "28inch wheel with the car being 1/2inch off the ground" croud. even less from those who appear to have done it (ie results)

·
Administrator
18,174 Posts
G'day & Welcome.

Doesn't matter how much you lift it - your tyre size is still limited by the spring perch i.e. the distance between the wheel rim and the bottom of the perch. I'm running 21575R15 BFG ATs on mine.

·
Administrator
18,174 Posts
Coilovers remove the spring perch issue but when I researched them I couldn't find any tall enough as they were generally used for lowering the vehicle not raising it. I was also concerned with the "skinny" springs and whether they would stand up to the offroad punishment my car receives.

Strut top spacers will not make any difference to the spring perch position.

·
Registered
2006 SG9 X
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
skinny springs shouldnt be the problem, the problem would be the body of the shock. anyone get in to custom coilovers? extra shock and spring travel wouldnt go astray

when i was talking about spacers I was meaning wheel spacers or getting different offsets for the wheels.

·
Administrator
18,174 Posts
My struts were lenghtened and the spring perch moved - I'm not sure if they lengthened the top or bottom. From the pics I've got of construction it would appear the extension is at the bottom. Wholesale Suspension at Penrith in Sydney did the work.

·
Registered
2006 SG9 X
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how much extra clearance did that give you? looks like it would allow you to change to tyres that had a 2" larger diam. how's your camber with the change? i know doing a similar thing on my 87 RX gives the car positive camber :(

·
Administrator
18,174 Posts
The specs are here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/what-your-ride-height-6439/

Yes, I could get a larger tyre to fit but it would then rub too much on full lock; the limitation then is the size of the wheel arch. Also, I wanted to leave room for snow chains should I ever need to fit them - there has been talk here recently of adding 4WD / AWD to the mandatory requirement to carry chains into our state's ski fields.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.