Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be getting 17" anthracite Ultraleggaras and 225/55 Pirelli Scorpion STR's fitted next Saturday. Looking forward to it :) The circumference of these 17 inchers is slightly off from the stock 215/60-16's, but these were the only decent all seasons I could get locally for a 17" rim.

I'm guessing that in case of a flat, that I shouldn't run with the original spare, as it'll do bad things to the diff, right?

Choices that I can see are to either; take out the stock spare and replace it with a right-sized space saver, or just carry a can of "tyre weld" around. What do the smart guys here do?

Thanks in advance.

Suresh

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
I just got new rims and tires, 245/40/18, about 1.8% smaller diameter than stock.. I was wondering the same thing.

One solution is to get a 5th matching full size spare, but I heard that with a 245 width tire, it might not fit in the spare wheel well.

I also understand that the Forester front diff is open, so I'm thinking that if I do get a flat, to put the spare in the front, and then it should be ok ?

Can anyone comment ?

·
Administrator
16,040 Posts
Preferrably, deflate a right sized spare so it fits in the wheel well and carry a 12V pump. My 21575R15's at a diameter of 703 mm (27.68") only half fits into the well. My previous 21565R16's (686 mm / 27") would fit at 15-20 psi.

or

I'd be concerned fitting different sizes on the rear if you have a limited slip diff, but agree on the open front diff it may be OK but, in any case, I would put the "FWD" fuse in to avoid any transmission "wind-up".

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
sorry... forgot to mention that I have a manual.. so no FWD fuse...

still I should put it on the front ?

I don't think there is anyway that a defalted 245 width tire will fit in my spare well...

·
Administrator
16,040 Posts
I still think on front (as with snow chains)

Here: http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Suggests the 245 is 702mm / 27.6" diameter - so it will be a tight fit. It might just make it half way into the metal part of the well - see the pic of mine at:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?p=43443#post43443

and then decide.

Alternatively, a body shop could expand the wheel well for you I'm sure. It just seems to be the sides that are not wide enough - the front and rear of the well seems to have plenty of clearance.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
If you are in suburban areas I wouldnt worry - you should be able to do a few miles on the wrong size, just get it changed asap. Dont just be lazy and leave it on for a week.
If you do a lot of miles well away from civilisation then Id be a bit more worried about running the wrong size.

Maybe look at getting a tyre repair kit - they will get you out of many problems.

·
Mr. September 2008
2007 Legacy Automatic
583 Posts
I have 04 STi BBS wheels, I would think that if I keep the stock sized tires for them, that I would be able to use whatever spare comes with the STi, right?
Anyone know what comes as the spare for the STi, or if you can fit a larger diameter spare tire on the spare wheel? The BBS are 225/45-17, so any idea if you can put say a ?/50/17? or ?/55/17 on the spare? Sorry for all the questions but I would really like a spare to fit in the wheel well if possible. Thanks!

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Oddnoggins said:
The BBS are 225/45-17, so any idea if you can put say a ?/50/17? or ?/55/17 on the spare?
225/45R17 is smalled diameter than stock so it should fit in the hole, its just a question of it being the 10mm wider so its taller when its lying down!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts