Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently purchased a new 2010 Subaru Forester XT Limited. At approximately 1,000 miles, I noticed a rattling noise coming from the passenger side of the vehicle. It occurs at shift points (under a load) under 40mph. I do not hear the noise at idle or high speeds. I also do not hear the noise when I rev the engine. I had my brother (who is an ASC Master Tech.) set in the passenger side with the window down and he could hear the noise as well. He described the noise as sounding like a valve hanging up.

I've taken the vehicle into the local Subaru Service Dept. and described to them what was occurring. A tech. took the vehicle for a test drive and noted that he did not hear anything unusual. I ask if he could hear the valve noise and he stated he did not hear anything unusual.

This is my first Subaru, and from talking to other Subaru owners, it seems like Subaru engines are noisy. The vehicle now has 4,500 miles. I have changed the oil at 3,000 miles with synthetic oil. I still hear the valve noise. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Is this something I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
2010 subaru forester
30 Posts
i have the same problem like yours. took it to a local subaru 3 weeks ago . according to there master tech this normal noise. because of the design of the engine. then he took me to there service bay and make me listen to the other 2010 turbo limited and its all sound the same to me. this is my first subaru as well. i doesnt bother me anymore. its a blast to drive this car.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
This is my first Subaru (but its not an XT) and I too have noticed it sounds "different". But everyone tells me its normal Subaru/boxer sound and I like it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts