Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.0L XT Ltd CVT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When opening the powered hatch on my 2018 XT Ltd there is a groaning noise. This only occurs within the first few inches of travel & is more prevalent in cold weather.

I have lubed the hinges & any moving parts of the mechanism.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,738 Posts
Yes. Usually for me it is just after a wash or exremely cold. I think it is more from the power lift strut and not the hatch pressurized struts.

But hoping the sound will go away when I get TheFoz back from the dealer after they replace them [and some other work] under warranty.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
324 Posts
Probably not your issue, but the mounting screws were loose on one of my pressure lift struts, and it moved enough to make a low frequency noise/groan during first few inches of opening.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.0L XT Ltd CVT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The situation is resolved. :smile2:

I was at the dealers yesterday & advised them of the problem. It was just a matter of lubricating the mechanism. (I was not lubing the right part when I attempted the fix):mad: It took the tech just a couple of minutes to perform this service.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
The seals on the struts will fail and give you a "whoop" noise when you open the hatch. The dealer replaced 2 sets so far and they are failing again. My father has a 17 2.5 and his are failing as well.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,349 Posts
Same here. On my 2nd set on my 17’
Lubing only temporarily cured it.
It will return in short order.

Also, when I hit the lift button Im getting a long delay before it starts to lift. Like I stand there and look at it waiting for it to open.
Anyone else having that multi second delay for the hatch to start opening?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Ltd Tech CVT
516 Posts
I've gone through a few struts as well. The noise itself doesn't bug me, so I'm just going to leave it. Out of warranty now, and it's not worth the cost of repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts