Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Noise coming from the transmission in cold weather

Hi, I have a Subaru Forester 2009 2.5X Touring (5-speed manual transmission) with about 114 000 km.

Recently, I started hearing a noise which seems to come from the transmission in the first minutes of use of my car when the temperature is below 0 degree Celcius. I hear a "tak-tak-tak-tak-tak-tak" that will increase in intensity as I accelerate, and diminish or stop as I reduce my speed. After a kilometer or two, the noise disappears and doesn't come back. When the car is "warm", this doesn't happen. If the vehicle sits there for a while in the cold, the same pattern generally happens again. It looks like the colder it gets, the more likely the sound will be heard (and louder too). As the sound disappears quite quickly as the car warms up, could there be a problem with a bearing in the transmission that is not sufficiently "lubricated", and as the fluid in the transmission disperses itself and is more "liquefied" when the car warms up, then the bearing (or other internal piece in the transmission) is working fine and no noise is heard? Note that it could be something else too. I'm just trying to find out what this might be. Any idea or suggestion of what I should look for to correct this?

Thanks for your help on this.

·
Registered
2013 Forester Base
1 Posts
Hi all I have just registered for asking the exact same question.
My car is a 2013 base model btw.

I have exact same experiences with OP and I would like know what is really happening... It was not showing until under the recent cold weather.
When my car got warmed up, the noise would go away...

Any input would be appreciated...
I'm still in deciding if I should bring my car to the dealership for a fix since it's a cold weather only issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
2009 Forester manual
15 Posts
I just put up another post on this same topic. It sounds like I might be having the same issue. It sure sounds like a transmission bearing in my car.....

Not very excited about this.

·
Registered
2009 Forester manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Noise from transmission in cold weather

Hi eyesradar and dmcclosk531,

If you bring your car to a Subaru dealer, please let me know the outcome. I will do the same if I end up going to get information about what this sound may be, but I'm afraid that it is likely a bearing or loose part in the transmission. The fact that the noise goes away, or is reduced a lot when the car warms up, is somewhat puzzling, as a faulty bearing would always make noise I think, regardless of whether the car is warm or cold. I don't know if we can change the tranmission fluid for a synthetic product, but if so, I may look this way.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it looks like it may be more common then I tought. The description of the problem you have both made is the same I'm experiencing. I guess some people hear the sound and just don't bother with it. On my hand I do, as I suspect this may lead to a more serious problem in the medium- or long-term. Hope this is something that can be easily fixed, but I have doubts about this.

·
Registered
2009 Forester manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've finally ended up going to a Subaru dealer for another reason and asked about the noise coming from my transmission on cold temperature : the technician already knew about that noise and told me that it's the internal "cardan joint" in the transmission, which has a type of grease that takes a bit of time to warm up, so the cardan make some noise in the first minutes/kilometers of use. He mentions that it is not problematic and that no actions are required.

I've also changed my transmission/differential oil (front and rear) with a fully synthetic gear oil : Liqui Moly 75W90 GL5 (made in Germany, read great reviews about it). The transmission is now smoother and it might help too. I'Ve bought the product at Best Way Auto Parts in Ontario (they've shipped it to me). They were very professionnal and I received the gear oil in a matter of days.

Hope that helps,

Julien

·
Registered
2009 2.5 5MT
7 Posts
I have an 09 and I posted a similar thread a couple weeks ago when the weather dropped into the teens. Virtually the same exact symptoms as everyone that posted in this thread. Weird rattling sound upon driving it, then nothing once the car has been fully warmed up.

The weather has jumped up into the high 30's recently and has yet to make the sound again. Thanks for posting the reply from Subaru OP.

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sports Automatic
195 Posts
my 08 makes a chattering/metallic noise too, especially when it's cold like under 50 degrees or so and it started this past Spring. I just got the transmission serviced and the sound seems to have gone away.

The previous symptoms was anything I set it to REVERSE or to DRIVE it would chatter and make that metallic noise but not in PARK. The noise will go away after I've driven it a block or two (possibly when the transmission fluid warmed up?) The sound occurred yesterday morning as well before I put the car into the shop, now it's no longer doing it. I don't usually warm up the car for too long, possibly 3-4 min max. I did noticed that when the noise was present (before my service) if I let it warm up for 10+ minutes then there was no noise.

This morning it was 33 degree outside, and no noise, no chatter, no grinding.. and I've warmed up for only 3 minutes or less... I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hopefully this resolved that sounding issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts