Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

NoiseKiller Kit?

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  jonboy 
#1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone had any experiences of the NoiseKiller kit, specifically for the Foz?

I'm sick of how much road noise there is on our crappy rough roads, and was either looking at the NK kit (For £199) which has bits for the rear arches, boot floor, under back seat, front doors, under front / rear carpets, under bonnet and transmission tunnel.

The other option is one of the kits from someone like CIUK - Professional Car Insulation Kit / Pack, Full Vehicle Interior and Engine Bay Insulation which you get more stuff, but it's less of a ready made kit...

I tried doing the inner rear arches with flashing tape and camping mat already, and it didn't make a huge amount of difference...

Cheers

Jon

#2 ·
#6 ·
I've had both Pirelli P7's and current yoko Geo SUVs - I appreciate that all season tyres are going to be noisier than summers, but on rough roads it's really, really rumbly... On a smooth piece of fresh tarmac it's really quiet though...

Wind noise isn't so much of an issue - it's transmitted road noise from what seems to be mainly from the wheelarches...

I've read the quiet car thread thanks :)

#12 ·
Well, to update this thread - I bought a load of mass loaded vinyl, waterproof 3M sound insulation and non waterproof interior stuff from the link in the first post. Fitted it over the last few days (rear wheelarch cavities, boot door, under the rear seats, under the carpets all round, inside door skins, behind interior door trim).

Net result - a massive difference. There's still some road noise on rough surfaces, but the edge is definitely taken off it and it's a lot less intrusive. My scientific test of how at which speed I needed to turn the radio up to hear it went from about 50mph to over 70mph. The doors also close with a quality germanic 'thunk' now, rather than sounding tinny and Japanese! For a days effort and a couple of £60's, it was well worth it!

#15 ·
Adhesive Backed AU3002-2 Car Insulation Material from 3M

I followed their FAQ on what to order:

Car and Vehicle Soundproofing Frequently Asked Questions

I ordered 5M of the EPDM mass loaded vinyl, 5m of the felt and 2m of the 3M waterproof stuff and still have loads left over - probably 3m / 3m / 2m would be more realistic quantities.

I didn't go to whole hog and pull the seats up, just removed the side trims and slid as much as I could underneath, with the MLV on top. I also stuck the MLV underneath the floor mats, and did underneath the boot trays and wheel well with both too..

It's by no means mercedes quiet now, but it's definitely a lot better than it was :)

I may look at putting the 3M stuff underneath the plastic liners in the wheelarches, but they are pretty small and I'm not sure if it's going to make much of a difference there...

#16 ·
Oh - interestingly - there's already foam / MLV on the bulkhead underneath the carpet in the front, and odd bits and pieces of foam under the carpet, but it's by no means well covered. There's zero deadening or insulation of any note anywhere else though!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.