Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I MT Manual
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This started on my way home from work.

Each time I let off the clutch it makes a low-pitch, screeching noise until the clutch is about 1/2 up.
I hear this noise in between each gear, but not as much as in 1st, from stop.

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
It could be a worn throwout bearing or other component, and/or a need for grease/lubrication in the clutch system. How many miles on the clutch and related parts? [Usually when a clutch is replaced, other accessory parts are replaced as well.]

Does it occur when you press the clutch pedal when the engine is off, car not moving? If so, it could be the slave cylinder, the inner clutch mechanism or inside the car where the pedal is. Does it sound like it is inside the car?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The clutch is original, 120k miles. It is a 2006 na Forester. The is definitely from the outside of the cabin.

Here is another symptom: While the car is moving, I depress the clutch and move the shifter from gear to gear (with the clutch depressed) With each gear change it makes the noise, but just for a second.

It could be a worn throwout bearing or other component, and/or a need for grease/lubrication in the clutch system. How many miles on the clutch and related parts? [Usually when a clutch is replaced, other accessory parts are replaced as well.]

Does it occur when you press the clutch pedal when the engine is off, car not moving? If so, it could be the slave cylinder, the inner clutch mechanism or inside the car where the pedal is. Does it sound like it is inside the car?

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
Weird. I'm stumped. Sounds like it could be inside the transmission. Maybe there is a bad bearing on one of the shafts. Do you feel a vibration transmit through the clutch pedal or the shifter knob when the noise occurs?

Is the transmission properly filled with fluid?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weird. I'm stumped. Sounds like it could be inside the transmission. Maybe there is a bad bearing on one of the shafts. Do you feel a vibration transmit through the clutch pedal or the shifter knob when the noise occurs?

Is the transmission properly filled with fluid?
No vibrations. Other than the noise, it shifts normally.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Check your transmission fluid level.

There are a few things that first come to mind. One is the throw-out bearing, but you said the noise only occurs mid-way though the clutch travel, so that almost completely eliminates that idea. It could need grease on the pivot ball in the bell housing. Not really an easy way to do that.

Does it ONLY happen when changing gears? Like, does it make noise if you are cruising along and push the clutch in (but don't shift)? How about at idle or with the car off? Or does it only make noise AS you are shifting?

If it's the latter, my bet is low trans fluid.

If it's the former, then it very well could be the pivot ball needing lubrication. That's a pretty common issue with push-type clutches. To do it, you'd need to drop the transmission (that's the easy way), or snake a grease gun with a long hose on it through the inspection port and dump some kind of thick grease behind the pivot (that's the hard way).

120k on the stock clutch, it could also be wear. That's a LOT of life for a clutch, especially in the traffic congested areas of northern Maryland.

If you can give specific situations where the noise occurs, then that would help narrow things down. So far, those are the three best guesses I have.

You can inspect clutch life visually through the access port on top of the transmission. You'll see the pressure plate (it's silver), and the flywheel (it's got teeth on it), and then something sandwiched between them (the clutch). Inspect it's thickness.

Trans fluid, just check the dipstick with the car warm but turned off. The dipstick is on the passenger side, right near the firewall. It's yellow, and you can't miss it. It should read to the "full" line when warm and idle. You need to wipe it clean before getting a reliable reading.

There really isn't a check for the pivot ball needing lubrication, other than the fact that the noise would sound the same each time you push the clutch regardless of whether the car is moving, idling, or turned off.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No noise during cruising when I disengage (push in) the clutch. I'll chk the fluid this morning.

Check your transmission fluid level.

There are a few things that first come to mind. One is the throw-out bearing, but you said the noise only occurs mid-way though the clutch travel, so that almost completely eliminates that idea. It could need grease on the pivot ball in the bell housing. Not really an easy way to do that.

Does it ONLY happen when changing gears? Like, does it make noise if you are cruising along and push the clutch in (but don't shift)? How about at idle or with the car off? Or does it only make noise AS you are shifting?

If it's the latter, my bet is low trans fluid.

If it's the former, then it very well could be the pivot ball needing lubrication. That's a pretty common issue with push-type clutches. To do it, you'd need to drop the transmission (that's the easy way), or snake a grease gun with a long hose on it through the inspection port and dump some kind of thick grease behind the pivot (that's the hard way).

120k on the stock clutch, it could also be wear. That's a LOT of life for a clutch, especially in the traffic congested areas of northern Maryland.

If you can give specific situations where the noise occurs, then that would help narrow things down. So far, those are the three best guesses I have.

You can inspect clutch life visually through the access port on top of the transmission. You'll see the pressure plate (it's silver), and the flywheel (it's got teeth on it), and then something sandwiched between them (the clutch). Inspect it's thickness.

Trans fluid, just check the dipstick with the car warm but turned off. The dipstick is on the passenger side, right near the firewall. It's yellow, and you can't miss it. It should read to the "full" line when warm and idle. You need to wipe it clean before getting a reliable reading.

There really isn't a check for the pivot ball needing lubrication, other than the fact that the noise would sound the same each time you push the clutch regardless of whether the car is moving, idling, or turned off.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
So if you are cruising in, say, 4th gear and push in the clutch (without shifting), there is no noise?

Sounds like low fluid level. Fill it ASAP!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clutch fluid level is fine. I brought it to a mechanic, he believes it is the throw out bearing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry for late response but this symptom sounds more or less like the slave cylinder making some noise. Throw out bearing would generally make noise only when the clutch is engaged. The slave cylinder moves in and out when you push in the clutch so that is likely what you are hearing. The slave cylinder is under the intake manifold so leave the car off and have a friend push in the clutch and you should be able to hear it from under the manifold. I'm not convinced that is an early sign of death for the part, so if it were me I'd just let it be until you have a better reason to take off the intake manifold.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X AT
4,235 Posts
Yea, but read his second "experiment". While holding clutch in, it makes the noise when shifting through the gears. This would point to something internal to the trans. All this is doing on the clutch end is spin up and down the clutch plate within the released pressure plate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yea, but read his second "experiment". While holding clutch in, it makes the noise when shifting through the gears. This would point to something internal to the trans. All this is doing on the clutch end is spin up and down the clutch plate within the released pressure plate.
Ah, I see what you are saying. When I read that post i read it as...

Push clutch in *squeak
change gear
Engage clutch*squeak

1 - 12 of 12 Posts