Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am very frustrated with the noise because I can't figure out where the noise is coming from.

Here is the description of the noise:

There will be no noise, like dead slient, when the car is idle.

You will only notice the noise when the car is moving. It doesn't matter whether the car is in gear or not, the noise is still there. The noise sounds like it is caused by rotation. I have tried to shut of the car in neutual and let the car roll, and the noise remains.

One thing I can be sure, the noise is not from the engine. Originally when I got the car the tranny has some weird noise already, I am wondering if this rotation noise is caused by the tranny or something else.

I am going nuts soon. Please help.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2003 XS with 5 speed.

The noise sounds like it is coming from the front/center part of the car.

No matter what I do, like change gear, steps on the clutch, etc. As long as the car is moving even if I turn the engine off, you will hear the noise.

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTEN
99 Posts
Hi, check your tyre pressures. When i bought mine it had a rotation sounding noise, took it back to the dealer. Found to be uneven tyre wear caused by badly balanced & low tyre pressures. (new tyres sorted it)
If not maybe a wheel bearing?
regards

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have checked my tire pressure a couple days ago, but I will recheck when the tires are cool down over the night.

I don't think is wheel bearing because I have a bad wheel bearing on my other Toyota. It doesn't sound like that. Also, the noise sound seems like it is from the front and middle. Unless Subaru is very different with other cars, I dont think wheel bearing noise will come from middle. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
If one of the inner axle boots is torn it could potentially be that all the grease is gone in one of them. It'd exhibit a similar sound to a wheel bearing, yet still completely different.

If you look under there you'll see grease spwen on things, unless it's been like that for a while... then you wont see grease. According to my local dealership they seemed to wear out a lot in the GTA. When I was in there they were replacing a set on an '03 XS 4EAT.
They're located where the axles "plug into" the transmission and rear diff. Near where the axles have the larger green sections.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If one of the inner axle boots is torn it could potentially be that all the grease is gone in one of them. It'd exhibit a similar sound to a wheel bearing, yet still completely different.

If you look under there you'll see grease spwen on things, unless it's been like that for a while... then you wont see grease. According to my local dealership they seemed to wear out a lot in the GTA. When I was in there they were replacing a set on an '03 XS 4EAT.
They're located where the axles "plug into" the transmission and rear diff. Near where the axles have the larger green sections.
Let me make sure the inner boots are not torn. I have replaced the outer boot just couple weeks ago.

The sound is pretty consistent, will not change under load or when turning. The noise is speed related, lower speed you can hear the noise more clearly and slower and whe you are driving faster, you will only hear "ta ta ta ta ta ta ta" like that. Especially when I am slowing down with neutral you will hear the noise very clearly.

I treid to look under the car over the weekend, but the car drives fine, and nothing looks damaged. I will try again and focus on the boot area. However it does sounds like it is inside of something, like tranny.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
... I have replaced the outer boot just couple weeks ago.
.... lower speed you can hear the noise more clearly and slower and when you are driving faster, you will only hear "ta ta ta ta ta ta ta" like that. Especially when I am slowing down with neutral you will hear the noise very clearly.....
Are the clamps for the new boots hitting any thing?

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
2 Posts
Similar problem

I have a similar problem in my 03 X 5spd.
I have 170K on it (original owner) and a whining noise started about 6 months ago that kinda sounded like a dogbox tranny does as they wind up.
In the last couple of months it has gotten alot worse.
It is vehicle speed dependant (not motor related), I have checked all axles and main driveline/carrier for any slop.
I have noticed that is seems a little louder at low speed medium load situations like 40MPH in 4th gear (about 2K RPM). Also at very low vehicle speeds like 5 MPH I can hear a distinct click, click, click that seems to be turning into what sounds like a gear whine at higher speeds.
Believe it or not I still have stock clutch in it at 170K but it doesn't seem like throwout bearing or clutch noise as clutch engagement does not affect it.
I changed tranny and rear diff fluids to RedLine at about 80-100K and the fluid level it still fine and does not look or smell cooked at all.
I am thinking it is some sort or output bearing or differential issue based on my symptoms.
Is there any way to confirm what the problem is without R&R?
Thanks!
Jv

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2 Posts
Unknown noise from front, In my 01 also

My 2001 Forester S, has a 5 speed transmission. I have suddenly started to have the same symptoms: speed-related noise coming from the front center of the car. It is a type of whinning sound. It starts to be really audible at 30mph and gets pretty loud at 65mph. I have new tires and brakes. The car has 65K miles and has regularly serviced, including an expensive 60K service by Subaru dealer. Leaky axle boots have been replaced recently.

At a local shop, they checked it for a bad wheel bearing, but said it was not the problem. They suggested the transmission. The vehicle drives fine, and handles as well as before this whinning noise started, but I get worried that something might break.

Any similar experiences or ideas out there?

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the noise is not Metalic (not metal hitting metal)

my situation is really similar to reforested.

Noise is clear and very noticeable at low speed.
I don't see any torn boot. Car drives pefectly fine, handles great!

I am suspecting the front diff and tranny related. :confused::confused:

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The noise got worse and my car is not drivable....I need to wait till next Monday to get the car fix.

The noise is extremely loud and it sounds like metal hit metal hardly!! I am 1000% sure is diff. / tranny related. It feels like something is stuck and won't let the car to go forward. Although go backward is fine,

sigh... looks like I need to spent some money to fix it this time

·
Registered
1999 Forester
16 Posts
Transmission noise - me too - any answers?

My 99 Forester started making a similar noise to the others last week. The sound is much like the noise of straight-cut reverse gears. It varies with speed and seems related to the motion of the car, not the speed of the engine or even the load on the drivetrain. It is quite noticeable when slowing to a stop (even in neutral with the engine at idle). I suspect the slipping out of fifth symptom may be related, but that's a guess. Oil is topped up and appears very clean. Mechanic decided the noise came from transmission not front differential, wheel bearings, drive shafts, etc.

Anyone actually have this problem repaired (and know what was wrong)? Anyone have a guess whether this indicates an imminent failure of something? Or should I drive it until I can't stand it any more and then find a good junk gearbox?

Thanks

DKB

1 - 20 of 20 Posts