Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been dealing with this noise and it is absolutely driving me nuts.

With the car stopped, when the car idles at 800 rpm (or was it 600 rpm, anyway) and I put it in gear (R,D,3,2,1) it makes weird tapping noise inside the car. I can't hear anything from the outside. I think it is coming from tranny area.

The funny thing is as soon as I get moving, or even brake boosting above idle RPM, the noise immediately goes away. If I put the car in neutral it also goes away. So when I'm driving normally there is no noise. It is just when I'm completely stopped with the car in gear.

I thought my 3" downpipe or STi IC was hitting something but I was under the car several times checking and found nothing touching, at least the things I've modded.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
What kind of tapping noise? Does it sound metallic or plasticy? Also, does it make the same sound when the car is off, but in start position? I ask because I have a rather loud "humming" or "ticking" that comes from mine when in gear, but not in neutral or park. But my difference is I hear it only on the outside and sounds like a noisy pump of some sort.

·
Registered
My07 FXT
288 Posts
i don't know if your aircon pipes are located in the same area as mine but just behind the STI TMIC there's an area where it tends to knock/'tap' one of the pipes when idling and at initial take off..........we usually cover the pipe with a short length of hose or foam.

perhaps you can try that.........

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is definitely some sort of plastic tapping noise.

And yes I do have STi TMIC, but I checked everything behind it and I have put rubber pad thingys where it would normally rub.

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FIXED

Found the problem. There is this metal bracket that holds two hoses together, beneath the turbo heat shield. This was tapping against the chassis, and the noise was transmitted into the cabin.

Highlighted in red rectangle is the offender.

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good find. Not sure how you pinpointed that in that tight space.
It was a pure luck... :icon_biggrin: I was only looking at the things I modded so far and failed to find anything. So I just started randomly wiggling everything around DP / TMIC and found it.

Let me tell you that thing was driving me completely insane, because the car is very quiet at idle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The upper motor mount wears out every few years, and there is a lower
one too (which doesn't wear out nearly so fast.). The lower one can be
clearly seen if you take off the wheel and pop-off cover. If you've
got a valve cover oil leak, the oil all ends up on the lower motor
mount which causes the rubber to swell and the mount becomes
ineffective. There's a similar mount on the transmission. Maybe this should be
suspect as it only does it in gear.

·
Registered
2006 forester xt
51 Posts
no, i'm sure it's not the engine mounts.

i believe these two hoses in picture became more straight with time, so the bracket is bumping on potholes. don't know if i can use a zip tie on them, i'm afraid it can eventually break the hoses. op, how have you stopped this annoyance?

·
Registered
2002 Forester
292 Posts
The upper motor mount wears out every few years, and there is a lower
one too (which doesn't wear out nearly so fast.). The lower one can be
clearly seen if you take off the wheel and pop-off cover. If you've
got a valve cover oil leak, the oil all ends up on the lower motor
mount which causes the rubber to swell and the mount becomes
ineffective. There's a similar mount on the transmission. Maybe this should be
suspect as it only does it in gear.
This is what I was expecting it to be.