Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
307 Posts
Well, it looks like the '19 Foresters are doing this too.

We bought ours in October and keep it in the garage. We use it for trips on the weekends, and use our old car for around town.

We drove the car this morning and parked it about 5 hours ago. Just a few minutes ago, I went in the garage and heard the rather noticeable hummmm. I crawled under the rear of the car and it's coming from just above the rear diff area. I went and got the keys and started it up for a minute. After shutting it off, the hum stopped. This is the first time I ever heard it.

Since I found it on Friday afternoon at 5pm, I figured with my luck it was something serious.

I came here and did a search and found this thread. Relieved - Thanks!

[EDIT: I just looked and it is in the owner's manual - Page 8 ]

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium
1 Posts
I've owned my 2019 Forester Premium for three weeks now and I also can confirm that the 2019's are making this "noise".

Sort of freaked me out when I went to the garage for something and heard my new car making a strange noise from the rear of the car. I thought it was the fuel pump running for some reason so I went and got my key and started the vehicle and the noise went away after shut down.

I have a Love-Encore meeting scheduled and noted in the little notebook the dealer gave me this very incident. Glad I came back to this forum and found out what the "noise" really is.

Thank You to those with the knowledge for passing it on to the rest of us.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,741 Posts
Our new 2019 Crosstrek does it too. Freaked me out when I first heard it. Haven't yet caught my 2018 Forester in the act.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma 5 speed
22 Posts
The area you were poking around could certainly be the location of the fuel pump and I suppose the relay (not sure of the precise location on a SH model) thats the area under the rear seat on an SG model. Maybe shine a flashlight in the area to see if that provides any benefit to determining whats under there.

I'd keep an eye (ear:lol:) on it after your next few drives. And as Steve suggests check the cap, it does need to be tight to prevent a CEL.
Could. E

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello friends, i am new to this chat room. And also my first time with Subaru cars. I have a 2019 Forester Sport which i purchased 3- 4 weeks ago.
I am happy with it so far. Lately I am hearing this buzzing sound underneath at rear part of the SUV, after 4-5 hours of engine shut off i even went down there and video it. Its loud down there and i showed it to the people in Subaru dealership where i bought the suv, i was there yesterday for them to tell me more about the bells and whistles of the suv in which they didn't have the time when i bought the car because this Guy Mr. R is off that day. But to make the story short Mr. R has no clue what it is and also sorry to say for his 29+ years in Subaru as he brags dont show it haha he FAILED to answer 40% of my questions which i found the answers online and thru asking my friends who has WRXs and Foresters. If you have ideas let me know. I heard it is written in owners manual. Trying to look for it. The Subaru dealership genius guy told me to call him wednesday next week he will ask the service manager.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
904 Posts
It is a fuel tank pressure test to ensure the fuel cap is tightened. Totally normal.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
241 Posts
I have never had to put a battery conditioner on a car in 40+ years, but I always use one for my motorcycles. Maybe it's time to start doing the same for my 2019 Subaru!

·
Registered
2016 Forester
2 Posts
Occasionally a few hours after it has been driven, I have heard a humming noise coming from under rear(?) cabin. What is this? 2016 Forester with approx 42,000 miles

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,534 Posts
@LadyBlue16 welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Take a look at this thread:
Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
7 Posts
Went into my closed garage this afternoon and heard what sounded like a small electric motor sound coming from the rear axle/differential area of my parked, 2019 Forester Sport. Didn't drive the car at all today (last driven, Friday afternoon) and it was definitely coming from underneath the car in the center where the rear differential/axle is located. I listened for a while, then it made a small "poof" sound, sped up for about three minutes and stopped completely. Any clue?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
307 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I park my 2020 Forester Touring in a detached garage that I typically do not spend much time in (get in vehicle & go, or park it & leave). However on two occasions now I happened to be in there several hours after parking it and noticed a noise coming from the underside. It isn't super loud, just a low volume consistent sound. The first time I only noticed it when it stopped.....I didn't register the sound when I first went in, but when it shut off it caught my attention by it getting quiet. The second time I did notice it, but by the time I got underneath the car to try and track it down it stopped just as I was zeroing in on the source. It was coming from an area under the rear axle, kind of in the center but more towards the passengers side. I took the attached photos of the unit that is my best guess as to the source. I don't know how long it "runs", but suspect only a few minutes. And I don't know when it comes on, or how frequently, just that both times I noticed it the car had been parked and untouched for several hours.

My curiosity has the better of me....can anyone tell me what might be making this noise, and the purpose? After being parked for several hours I can not imagine what "job" needs to be done on the vehicle.

Look forward to any insights you all may have!

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,741 Posts
Normal! See page 9 of your 2020 owners manual "Noise from under the vehicle".

You are not the only one perplexed by this noise:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Normal! See page 9 of your 2020 owners manual "Noise from under the vehicle".

You are not the only one perplexed by this noise:

Oops, never even thought to check the manual!

Awesome, thanks for the information. So many things going on with these modern vehicles, amazing stuff.

161 - 180 of 201 Posts