Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

181 - 200 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport
108 Posts
I have a 2020 Forester with only 800 miles. I heard this noise tonight for the first time and this thread was just the answer. Page 9 did the trick. Thanks all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had this happen once so far in the few weeks i've owned my 2019 sport. I was a little worried, turned the car on and off and it stopped. Glad to know its 'normal' based on this thread and page 8 in the sizable manual. Thanks all.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
5 Posts
Not sure if this is an engine issues or an electronics issue -- hence the generic posting.

2019 Forester Limited

On two occasions now I have stepped into my garage and heard an electric motor sound coming from the rear passenger side of my car, a sound that strikes me as exactly the sound of a small electric pump. Both times the car had been shut down & locked for a period of some hours. The first time I waited a few minutes to see if the sound would quit. It did not, and I opened the driver's door (no effect) and started the car, then switched off. The sound was gone. The second time I simply cycled the ignition switch without actually starting the engine -- that did the trick.

The location & nature of the sound says "fuel pump" to me, but I don't know for sure. I'm afraid to walk away and let it run. Anybody have a notion as to what's happening here? No issues starting or driving, by the way -- overall I love the car.

Thanks --

To be clear -- the sound kicks in sometime after the car has been parked - it is not there immediately after parking.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,534 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
5 Posts
Really, I looked before I wrote, but NOW I see a similar thread -- Ugh, sorry for the duplication. I'd delete if I could (I don't see how). Anyway, apparently it is some kind of pressure control for the fuel system -- not to worry, if I understand correctly.

·
Administrator
40,534 Posts
Really, I looked before I wrote, but NOW I see a similar thread -- Ugh, sorry for the duplication. I'd delete if I could (I don't see how). Anyway, apparently it is some kind of pressure control for the fuel system -- not to worry, if I understand correctly.
Not a problem! The forum search is not the greatest, it took a couple search terms before I found it!

I'm going to merge your thread with that existing thread.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wasn't sure where else to place this question but would like to ask if anyone has noticed a humming sound coming from the rear of the vehicle while parked. I have noticed this a couple of times while my Forester was parked in the garage at night. And if I recall the headlights were on too. After a few minutes the sound would stop and the headlights go off.
I also have a 2013 Prius which occasionally makes strange noises while parked but that's to be expected since it's a hybrid whereas my Forester obviously is not.
Can anyone shed any light on this strange behavior?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,063 Posts
Part of the evap system check. It’s normal. A small pump pulls a slight vacuum on the system to check for leaks.

The headlights are not part of the check. Don’t know what to tell you about that part.

·
Administrator
40,534 Posts
@kwp47 welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Take a look at this thread to see if what you're hearing is the same. If yes, then your thread will be merged with that existing thread.
► Edit - the threads have now been merged!
Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

Reactions: Peja

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wasn't sure where else to place this question but would like to ask if anyone has noticed a humming sound coming from the rear of the vehicle while parked. I have noticed this a couple of times while my Forester was parked in the garage at night. And if I recall the headlights were on too. After a few minutes the sound would stop and the headlights go off.
I also have a 2013 Prius which occasionally makes strange noises while parked but that's to be expected since it's a hybrid whereas my Forester obviously is not.
Can anyone shed any light on this strange behavior?
Yes, and it's covered in the manual.
"Noise from under the vehicle S00AK01
NOTE
You may hear a noise from under the
vehicle approximately 5 to 10 hours
after the ignition switch is turned to the
“LOCK”/“OFF” position. However, this
does not indicate a malfunction. This
noise is caused by the operation of the
fuel evaporation leakage checking sys-
tem and the operation is normal. The
noise will stop after approximately 15
minutes."

·
Registered
2 Posts
@kwp47 welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Take a look at this thread to see if what you're hearing is the same. If yes, then your thread will be merged with that existing thread.
Also...

Bobby...

Yes, my question appears to be the same as talked about in that thread. Thanks for all the helpful info.

Ken

·
Registered
2015 forester, 6 speeds and a quart of oil
149 Posts
Spontaneous humming?

It could be happy or just passing the time. Perhaps it's daydreaming about hooking up with a real Hummer. Maybe there is a noise from a looming failure it is trying to obscure. There are far too many possibilities when it comes to Forester psychology.

·
Registered
2019 Forster Premium
1 Posts
Another word to describe it is a faint buzzing.

I found it in the manual at the very end of the brain-dead-litigious-warning section. It is related to emissions control with the fuel tank as I suspected.
Very helpful find. I heard the humm for the first time after owning ours for 18 months.

·
Registered
2013 Forester Automatic
2 Posts
Not sure where to post, so I will start here.

2013 Forester...80K miles...will be 8 years old next week...original owner.

For the first time ever, when I checked that my garage door was closed before I went to bed, I heard a strange mechanical type buzzing/vibration noise somewhere in the garage. I narrowed the noise down to coming from somewhere underneath/inside the area of the driver's side rear wheel well. Shortly thereafter the noise stopped.

Haven't heard it again and the car starts and runs just fine.

Any guesses?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Some part of the emissions system does a self-test after the car is stopped (engine off) for a while. That's prolly what you're hearing.

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
41 Posts
For the first time ever, when I checked that my garage door was closed before I went to bed, I heard a strange mechanical type buzzing/vibration noise somewhere in the garage. I narrowed the noise down to coming from somewhere underneath/inside the area of the driver's side rear wheel well. Shortly thereafter the noise stopped.
I'm so happy to find this thread and find out I'm not alone. For anyone who skipped to the last page looking for an answer, this noise is normal and expected. It's referenced on page 8 of our manual. Funny thing is, I swear I had similar behavior on a 2001 Saturn 20 years ago. So when I first heard the noise, I assumed it was some kind of fuel system pressure test. Lo and behold, that's exactly what it was!

"You may hear a noise from under the vehicle approximately 5 to 10 hours after the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK / OFF position. This does not indicate a malfunction. This noise is caused by the operation of the fuel evaporation leakage checking system and the operation is normal. The noise will stop after approximately 15 minutes."

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Limited
7 Posts
Hi,
Twice in about 16 months of owning my Forester (which I love), I've heard a 'buzzing' sound that seems to be coming from somewhere between the rear hatch and the gas cap (on the right hand side).
After returning home, I'll park my car in the garage and all seems fine (don't know if the buzzing starts immediately) but then, I'll come back out to the garage later (15 minutes, an hour, not sure) and there will be a buzzing sound (only noticed twice so far).
Pressing the ignition button to turn the car on and then off seems to get rid of the buzzing sound.
But I can't figure out what is causing the buzzing in the first place - could it be draining the battery if I didn't notice it for a week?
Any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks!
Jim

·
Administrator
40,534 Posts
Reactions: Move Zig
181 - 200 of 201 Posts