Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
There have been many posts about noise, but I have to go at it again...

My 00 started moaning and groaning at about 50k. She has 66k now and she's getting even more cranky. (I admit to starting my own moaning and groaning at about 50 years, so I can relate!) I'm worried that there might be a serious problem and that masking the noise will lead to additional damage or flat out failure of something.

The noise is in the middle C range, neither high pitched or low rumble. Comes from underneath, rear -- apparently. It is definitely speed related -- it increases in volumn proportional to increase in speed. Same for forward or reverse. It is not related to turning.

I've read the posts suggesting fuel pumps, trany probs, CV joints, wheel bearings. Also the ones about dealers over charging the ignorant. Hence, my query.

Any sage advise before I visit the dealer for this?

Thanks!

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Car acoustics can be very tricky, doubly so in a car with an open interior like.. (suprise!) the forester.

However - you can check some of these things on your own. While I don't remember the correct procedure offhand, since i've never had the luxury of doing it, you should be able to check the wheel bearings with the car up on four jackstands.

The CV boots would only make noise (i think) during cornering/turning. The constant high-pitched noise you're describing doesn't sound like a CV boot failure to me, but i'm sure someone else will chime in with something to the contrary.

How are your tires? Unevenly worn tires can make a ton of noise, and some just get loud as they wear faster.

Aside from the noise, any odd behavior? Also - Is it simply speed related, or is it also related to engine RPM? (will it be just as loud with the car in neutral at 60mph as it would be with the car in gear, or when accelerating from 55-65?)

Lastly, manual or auto tranny?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
790 Posts
ive realized sometime you just need to let it break.....ive spent 2100 bucks trying to get rid of a noise in my front end when turning left and still havent gotten rid of it. im just gonna wait till something blows up

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Noise

Sschmelcke, you are a braver person than I am.

Blitzoid, great comments. What should I look for re: wheel bearings? Tires? I'll check them out, maybe even rotate them if necessary. Good idea. Also, I'll try the 50mph in neutral. Another good suggestion. (My wife needs a good workout anyway. She's never pushed the car that fast, but I have confidence in her! ;) )

2000L, Auto, off-road package

·
Registered
790 Posts
well ive been having a noise when turning left for about 2 months now so far ive replaced the right wheel bearing, left tie rod and the subaru dealership just threw in a 900 steering rack. noise is still there. im pretty much at a loss till something breaks

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
Have you ever considered changing the C/V joint? The noise when turning that is in sync with the wheel rotation is often that.

·
Registered
790 Posts
ive thought about it but the noise isnt really a cv clicking kind of noise. plus the boot looks brand new which means there is about a 95% chance the cv joint is good. im actually getting new tires put on today to see if that may have been the problem. either way i got the tires for practicly nothing so if they dont work i wont feel so bad. i guess the next after that would be a cv

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I just got out from under my not-enough-ground-clearance 00 to investigate the many good suggestions. Everything appears in order EXCEPT the play in the driveshaft seems eccessive to me. It turns back and forth about 5 degrees before engaging with an audible metalic clunk.

Does anyone know if this is within tolerance? Thanks

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
sschmelcke said:
ive thought about it but the noise isnt really a cv clicking kind of noise. plus the boot looks brand new which means there is about a 95% chance the cv joint is good. im actually getting new tires put on today to see if that may have been the problem. either way i got the tires for practicly nothing so if they dont work i wont feel so bad. i guess the next after that would be a cv
You mention a newer boot?

Exactly what kind of noise was it again?

Try spraying some lithium grease on the axle boots.

Oddly enough I have seen some boots make weird noises on turns.

·
Registered
790 Posts
well the noise it makes if almost like a whirring/whooshing sound if that makes any sense......kind of like when you get snow jammed up in there. funny thing is its most noticeable around 40mph....anywhere about or below and its barely audible

so as of right now ive replaced tires, left tie rod, FR wheel bearing, steering rack.....total cost 1800 dollars and still just as loud as it was. only think i noticed was that before the steering rack i used to feel a slight tapping underneath my foot along with the sound. the tapping is now gone but the sounds is still there

also its not a newer boot just not cracked or broken. they are both still in great condition

1 - 10 of 10 Posts