Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Foz CVT
938 Posts
Yeah, it's a little exposed, but not too bad. That's the price we pay to have an AWD vehicle with both decent ground clearance and low floors and interior space. Packaging becomes more difficult without intruding into the cabin. It's a jacked-up car, not a 4Runner.

At least the rear diff has more protection than previous years. The exhaust is a wear/sacrificial item.

·
Registered
2016 Foz CVT
938 Posts
Yeah, it's a little exposed, but not too bad. That's the price we pay to have a, AWD vehicle with both decent ground clearance and low floors and interior space. Packaging becomes more difficult without intruding into the cabin. It's a jacked-up car, not a 4Runner.

At least the rear diff has more protection than previous years. The exhaust is a wear/sacrificial item.

·
Registered
2016 Foz CVT
938 Posts
Oops! Double post. Mod, please delete. I guess I'm getting used to the new buttons...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with your observation, it isn't a 4Runner. I posted the photo because if any of us are touching the front skid plate on rocks, the trail is such that the rest of the Forester is at great risk of damage.

I know all too well that when exploring a trail the thought that turning back is very difficult to accept.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
169 Posts
... if any of us are touching the front skid plate on rocks, the trail is such that the rest of the Forester is at great risk of damage.
If anyone is touching rocks with the Subaru aluminium skidplate / splashguard available as an accessory for your Forester, not only are they putting the rest of the Forester at risk, they are putting the skidplate itself at risk. By no means is that part a "real" skidplate. Don't get me wrong, it is 1000 times better than the plastic one that comes on the vehicle, and I have one, but in no way could that thing withstand a real smash against some firmly planted rocks or roots. It is held on by four bolt which are not connected to the most solid framework and the side wing brackets connect to the vehicle with plastic clips.

A more robust skidplate ( 3/16" thick aluminium) like what is offered by LP Aventure or Primitive racing would be better suited for serious off-road trails. I believe the LP skidplate requires the bumper guard to be used in conjunction for solid mounting purposes. This really increases the cost of the set-up. For what I do, the Subaru plate, at under $200, is sufficient.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts