Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Ford
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, my name is Jason, and I currently live in Appleton, Wisconsin. I don't yet have a Subaru (and have never owned one), but right now they are at the top of my list of cars that I'm considering at buying next. I'm getting rid of my 2000 Explorer and 91 Accord and looking for a 5-speed Forester, Legacy GT wagon, WRX wagon, or Outback (in that order) in the late 90's/early 2000's range.

Anyway, thanks for taking the short time to read this and I look forward to learning from everyone. :Banane35:

-Jason

·
Registered
95 Posts
I prefer the forester because it should handle those snow dumps a little better cause of the clearance. But any AWD is awesome in the snow. Do you go to Gibsons Junk yard much? Im heading there on Saturday. Looking for a turbo hood.

·
Registered
2011 Mazda 2 Yozora 4EAT
62 Posts
We got a 1998 Forester L (non turbo) 5MT for my son in Ottawa and he loves it. I'm driving an '06LGT sedan. Legacy 5MT wagons are harder to find. Good Luck with your search. AWD Subbies will serve you well in Wisconsin.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,212 Posts
Keep in mind that pre 2003 model years are guaranteed to need a head gasket. And the Timing belt and associated pieces parts needs changed at 105K mies.

·
Registered
2000 Ford
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I do go to Gibson's quite often. I've never been there for Subie stuff though so I've never noticed what Subies they have there.

After not having 4WD/AWD for the past few winters, it's definitely time to go back. Most of the time it's not necessary, but when it is, it REALLY is. I'm basically something with plenty of room and AWD that still gets good gas mileage, and Subaru seems to be the only automaker that offers this combination.

I'm not too worried about head gasket issues. From what I've read so far they all need to be replaced like you said, so if need be I can do it (with help from my friends who are darn good mechanics).

I did find a 97 Legacy GT 5-speed not too far from me for $2900 obo. Has 156k miles and has had the timing belt changed. It looks like a really nice car, but I'm a little torn between that and a Forester, and I'm actually starting to like the Outbacks a lot too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts