Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
06 XTen
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a minor gripe really.

I have a couple of hairline scratches that I wanted to blend in. Normally I'd go to Halfrauds and buy one of those touch up pen/brush kits. I was gobsmacked to find they didn't stock any Subaru kits at all, not even an Impreza Blue, nothing, nada, zip, zilch. (i.e. Not out of stock, just not listed)

I bought a Saab Black in the end, outside of a main dealer where do you folks get your paint?

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
My paint code does not even exist in their system, and even the spray shop found it hard to match.

but if you find your paint code, some of the other listed makes have the same paint codes.

ie, My black mazda has a paint code of PZ brilliant black but its not listed, however Mitsubishi PZ brilliant black is listed, and is identical.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
Halfords have never stocked any Subaru paints but most can mix it for you. If you know the paint code.

My paint code does not even exist in their system, and even the spray shop found it hard to match
What is your paint code that they couldn't find???

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
I noticed that the other week. Iv'e heard that Halfrauds paint isnt very good anyway.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
Get it from a main dealer, it is about £10 for a touch up IIRC.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
I bought a touch-up from an ebay seller. great service and product. unfortunately the match isn't great and is strangely the SAME as the colour my tailgate has been sprayed. 01G is a tricky one...

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Halfords have never stocked any Subaru paints but most can mix it for you. If you know the paint code.

What is your paint code that they couldn't find???
Hi Don

my paint code according to the plate is 8w5.

I tried all the subaru silver that halfords have and all of them were too light.

In the end i got a sprayer in Barnsley to match it up and spray my spoiler. The colour match is perfect. He even gave me the left over paint for touch up.

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
I noticed that the other week. Iv'e heard that Halfrauds paint isnt very good anyway.
i have taken a few rattle cans back recently, they have been very poor quality, especially the Zinc primer. It used to ok but now its like water!

but the stuff they mix behind the counter has always been very good

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
8W5 is a multi-tone code. The two colours are 406 and 49B

01G Premium silver looks like an odd one, Standox list seven variants.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
Hi Don

my paint code according to the plate is 8w5.

I tried all the subaru silver that halfords have and all of them were too light.

In the end i got a sprayer in Barnsley to match it up and spray my spoiler. The colour match is perfect. He even gave me the left over paint for touch up.
dpm, you beat me to it :biggrin::biggrin:

Is yours a two tone vehicle?

Just googled your code and came up with this document.....

http://www.protoolshop.net/yomoyama/colortrim/Combination.pdf

It states 8W5 is equivalent to code 406 light silver (met) (The Colour COD2 is trim code 49B Slate grey(met)

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
8W5 is a multi-tone code. The two colours are 406 and 49B

01G Premium silver looks like an odd one, Standox list seven variants.
Standox - an interesting site.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
yes it is two tone but he 406 light silver (from Halfords) is way too light.
Probably an original paint "age" thing and the colour will appear darker once its got clear coat on it.

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
01G is a tricky one...
Tell me about it... I managed to get a rattle can from the French equivalent of Halfrauds, but only by dragging the salesman out to the car with the new scoop in my hands!

If anyone has the color code for Rover gunmetal I'd be very grateful, my 17" wheels need a few touches of colour after their shipping misadventure last year.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
Here's a cut and paste..................

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
Cheers Don, I'll see what they can do with that. You're a star!

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
Most of the paint brands require registration before you can get online colour searches; Standox don't. And, it's always up-to-date; the average factors or bodyshop will be at least three months behind (in my experience, and I support said brand and it's databases...).

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Probably an original paint "age" thing and the colour will appear darker once its got clear coat on it.
I bought my touch-up paint from the local Subaru dealer. They told me that Subaru don't use a clear coat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts