Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 98 Forester with an automatic transmission knowing that it won't go into reverse, but for the price, I couldn't pass it up. The car was only a few miles from home and the seller assured me that it drove forward fine. On the way home the transmission slipped badly in forward. Got it home and checked the fluid to find that someone has added transmission fluid to the front differential and the transmission fluid was very low. I drained about 3 quarts out and added about 8 before it read on the dipstick. The old fluid was very dirty but didn't smell burnt. It looks like the rear seal was leaking but I'll address that later. Now when you put the car in reverse and rev the engine, it doesn't move but you can tell it's putting a load on the engine. It also moves forward in drive and neutral. Checked the linkage adjustment and it seems ok. Any ideas? Thanks, Keith

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No reverse automatic

Follow up to my original post. I talked to a customer who owns a transmission shop and described my problem. He said the problem is mechanical in the trans and that the forward clutch is seized together which is why it drives in neutral. he said I probably have reverse but since the forward clutch in engaged , it won't move. I think he's right because I also notice when I start the car in park, it tries to move and the engine is under load when you rev it up. He sees this problem alot after a big snow when people try to rock the car back and forth to get unstuck and overheat the clutches. Since I got the car at a good price, I'll put a transmission in if I can find a used one at a reasonable price. If anybody has one within 150 miles from Baltimore, I'm in the market. Keith

1 - 2 of 2 Posts