1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to the Forum, but on my 3rd Subaru 2 March 2019

PROBLEM -
Today no power to radio , dash board clock , map/Dome lights , and the memory of the trip meter [works with engine running , zeros when off] Everything else seem to work.

History-
Mine is a 2006 Forester XL Premium 6 Cylinder 4 cylinder Auto with 205 K miles [ bought with 32K]
No extraordinary history, only major Repair, Head Gaskets Went at 87k and had a low speed rear-end collision at about 130k. No previous electrical problems other than the rear windshield wiper motor failing , currently waiting on replacement motor and replacing light bulbs.

Have had Check light on 3 times past 2 weeks, Computer Fault reads Misfire Cylinder 1 , I cleared it with no problem , planning on replacing Spark-plugs, Coil and Harness this week.

Actions-
Checked what I think are the right Fuses in the Cabin and Engine all good.

Hoping this is not an old thread I didn't find
Any Thoughts?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,830 Posts
I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Did you check fuse #2 in the engine compartment fuse box? It will be a 15A fuse, marked "clock•room". :confused:

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: RNORTH

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Embarrassing Embarrassing , Thought I checked all the fuses

Embarrassing , Thought I checked all the fuses

Thank You Bobby

Fuse 2 in Engine Fuse Box Blown

It is some what strange that they are are all, on the same circuit.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,065 Posts
Mine is a 2006 Forester XL Premium 6 Cylinder Auto with 205 K miles [ bought with 32K]
No extraordinary history,
Any Thoughts?
I don't know, a 6 cylinder swap sounds pretty extraordinary to me.

Never heard of anyone putting one into an SG, only the earlier SF models.... Got any pics?

Welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
40,830 Posts
@TMX I'm going to assume that was a "typo" & will correct that to "4 cylinder".

@RNORTH thank you for updating your thread with the solution! I'll add "SOLVED!" to the thread title.

As to your misfire. You can create a new thread for that if you need help troubleshooting. Also try the Google custom forum search, which is pretty good. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not Quite Finished

Thank You for correcting my mistake, it is a 4 Cylinder

But the problem is not yet solved, the #2 fuse went again, once while the ignition was off , and again when running , but not immediately [ after a minute or so], could then low temperatures be delaying the fuse Blowing ?

The systems affected are

Radio
Clock
Trip meter [works with ignition, then resets to zero when powered off]
Interior Lights
the beeper for the remote entry system

The Radio, Clock and Trip meter all require power to maintain memory so I will start with them, disconnecting each , then reconnecting to fine which has the problem.

But I will have to wait until it warms up a bit, manipulating Trim in single digits is not fun.
Is there any online or other source for a at least a schematic layout of the electrical system? or better yet the wiring harness?

Hoping I do not have worn wire grounding the system in some odd way.

Thank You for your interest , I let you know what I find.

PS: As for the Misfire I suspect it due to being long past due for a change of spark plugs, wire harness and maybe the Coil?

·
Administrator
40,830 Posts
@RNORTH sorry to say, but I kind of expected the fuse to blow again. Fuses usually blow to protect the circuit from current flow that exceeds the fuse rating... caused by a problem! :icon_eek:

I changed the "SOLVED!" to "Updated! on your thread title.

Was there any repair activity prior the the fuse blowing? :confused:

Fuse #2, FB-8, feeds these circuits:

• Audio
• Auto A/C control module
• Combination meter
• Spot map light
• Room light
• Clock
• Key illumination
• Luggage room light
Not on the list above, but also check your trailer connector. If it gets wet, it will corrode, short out & blow this fuse!

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed

Hello
You were right the trailer connector was damage [one wire was broken half] but there was no visible sign of a ongoing short.

I had my trailer hitch put on by the dealer, it connect to a mounted connector inside the spare wheel well, I Disconnecting it and the short went away.

Trouble shooting notes.
The fuse blown out twice in such away that it was hard see
Check for continuity, also when checking voltages on fuses be sure to check both sides of the fuse.

Will get a replacement cable and design a fixture to protect it the damage was likely caused by road Debris or Ice , Possible a D3 printing.

Thank You bobby

1 - 9 of 9 Posts