Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
05 forester
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i changed my oil today and when i started my 05 forester it was shaking while idling. I came down the hill from my house and when i hit the gas it would just rev and not drive. than started smoking. I accidentally put in 5 qt instead of 4. So i figured i'll just drain some oil. NO OIL CAME OUT!!! i've been calling a bunch of my friends and all of them are confused.. NO OIL? i don't understand whats happening.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,462 Posts
I see this your your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Lots of questions... don't know which one to ask first! :confused:
Did you personally change the oil & filter? Was this the first time you changed the oil & filter on your Forester?

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Are you sure you added oil to the right hole? :shrug:

Did you check the level on the dipstick before you drove off?

You may want to retrace you drive and see if you left a trail of oil.

·
Administrator
39,462 Posts
^^ That was my first thought, but where could you pour in 5 quarts of oil? :confused:

The OP never replied to my earlier questions, so this thread in a "holding pattern" for now. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
Sounds like you drained the transmission, but added oil to the engine. When you tried to drain off some of the oil, you opened up the transmission drain again. Since you drained the transmission, nothing will come out of course, so it looks like there is no oil in the "engine."

If this is true, you need to fill the transmission, and find the real oil pan drain and drain out all the oil + fill to the right level.

Mistaking the transmission drain plug for the oil drain plug is a mistake that has been made, even by quick-lube shops.

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
When I bought my Forester it had a noisy front diff. I got it for a great price. The front diff had no oil in it at all. I filled it and it didn't leak at all but was still noisy. I suspect someone drained it by mistake and ruined it.

Draining the transmission by mistake is also a possibility. I think if you started it the ATF in the converter would be pumped to the pan. If you tried to drain it again ATF would come out again. ATF is also red so I would hope you might notice that when it's draining.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Natural selection with a poor fossie caught in the middle.

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
Natural selection with a poor fossie caught in the middle.
X2. I hate to be so negative but, no matter what the happened or what the cause, the car sounds like it is toast.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,385 Posts
Over revving bc of no oil in tranny.
Smoking bc of 10 quarts in the engine.

Nothing to see here folks...move on.

·
Registered
05 forester
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i checked the dipstick there's oil half up the stick. it was the first time i changed my oil. there wasn't any trail of oil so i'm hella confused. where could f quarts go?

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
yea i checked the dipstick there's oil half up the stick. it was the first time i changed my oil. there wasn't any trail of oil so i'm hella confused. where could f quarts go?
You may have had a slow leak somewhere (e.g. valve cover gasket) and your oil has just been trickling out over time. Mine has a slow leak and if I don't top off the oil, within a couple months the level will be below the dipstick itself. Also the excess oil could have been blown out of the engine somewhere.

Did you check the transmission fluid level?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Over revving bc of no oil in tranny.
Smoking bc of 10 quarts in the engine.

Nothing to see here folks...move on.
This...

Classic Jiggy Lube/rookie mistake.

·
Administrator
39,462 Posts
I can see draining the ATF by mistake & over filling the engine oil, but draining the engine oil, adding oil & have it disappear boggles my mind. :icon_eek: Me thinks there's some missing details. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,954 Posts
The transmission theory sounds plausible, but shouldn't an 05 have a T70 plug on the transmission in hopes of avoiding this (oft fatal) confusion?

What kind of socket did you use to remove the plug?

Edit: Oops, not quite right. See funkymonkey1002's post on the next page. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Administrator
39,462 Posts
Was where you removed the drain plug flat or a bulged & under the engine? :confused:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
05 forester
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
for the most part is was flat and right behind the front wheels. kinda were the foot pedal would be.. right next to the oil filter.

also when i did drain my oil, when i took off the oil filter more oil came out so i let that drain. Then put the new filter on and then added the 5 qt

·
Registered
05 forester
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i just hope what ever i did to my subi is fixable and not damaging.. cause like everyone here I LOVES my SUBI

·
Administrator
39,462 Posts
If the drain plug was on a flat pan, you drained your ATF & replaced the ATF filter! :icon_eek:

The oil drain is directly under the engine & isn't flat, it kinda buldged & the oil filter is near the front of the engine, close to the front bumper.

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Was the filter on its side or sticking straight down? Did you take the engine undercover off? Sounds like you drained the ATF pan. The transmission has the same sort of plug as the engine, the front diff has a T70. The oil pan is all lump shaped while the trans pan is kind of square with no curves really.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts