Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Impreza Premium 2.0 AT w/ Manual Mode
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just swapped out my summer tires for the winter set, went into Les Schwab thinkin I would have to go to the dealership to reset the TMPS. Not the case this time around! The guy said that in some cases they are finding that if you drive around with the set just installed cars have been picking up the signal. My foz picked up the new signal right after the install. I drove it a little ways down the road just to make sure before the shop closed and all went well. Picked up my summer set and was on my way.
If your going to see if this works the guy said to drive around without the other set in back so your vehicles isn't trying to pick up all 8 signals.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 5 Speed Manual
1,612 Posts
Just swapped out my summer tires for the winter set, went into Les Schwab thinkin I would have to go to the dealership to reset the TMPS. Not the case this time around! The guy said that in some cases they are finding that if you drive around with the set just installed cars have been picking up the signal. My foz picked up the new signal right after the install. I drove it a little ways down the road just to make sure before the shop closed and all went well. Picked up my summer set and was on my way.
If your going to see if this works the guy said to drive around without the other set in back so your vehicles isn't trying to pick up all 8 signals.
Ha! Brilliant!

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
The guy said that in some cases they are finding that if you drive around with the set just installed cars have been picking up the signal. My foz picked up the new signal right after the install.
Good news!!

...without the other set in back so your vehicles isn't trying to pick up all 8 signals.
The TPMS sensors are equipped with centripetal (aka "centrifugal") switches and only transmit when the car is moving and the tires rotating. The sensors don't transmit when the tires aren't rolling; it's a battery life extending feature.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5iPremium 6sp Manual
49 Posts
Do you have an update on this? Did the sensor ever pop up? I got new tires and wheels a couple of weeks ago. The sensor came on after about 5-10 minutes of driving and now kicks on all the time. I did drive home with another set of tires/wheels in the back of the vehicle.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have an update on this? Did the sensor ever pop up? I got new tires and wheels a couple of weeks ago. The sensor came on after about 5-10 minutes of driving and now kicks on all the time. I did drive home with another set of tires/wheels in the back of the vehicle.
It's been fine so far for me. Like the guy told me at the shop it's been fine in some, not ALL cases. They didn't even have the Subaru sensors I needed and had to order them in for my model. I wouldn't expect all of these sensors to be the same either, the Subaru ones were cheaper than the generic that they carried. Seriously when does that ever happen?
If it's not working you will have to take it into Subaru to have them unblocked, at least that's what I've been hearing...

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's been fine so far for me. Like the guy told me at the shop it's been fine in some, not ALL cases. They didn't even have the Subaru sensors I needed and had to order them in for my model. I wouldn't expect all of these sensors to be the same either, the Subaru ones were cheaper than the generic that they carried. Seriously when does that ever happen?
If it's not working you will have to take it into Subaru to have them unblocked, at least that's what I've been hearing...
Wow, well thats really fortunate. I wonder if I have the wrong sensors. Do you happen to know which ones they put in? Does your reciept have any info on them?

Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, well thats really fortunate. I wonder if I have the wrong sensors. Do you happen to know which ones they put in? Does your reciept have any info on them?

Thanks
This time around I would just call it luck! When I have my spring/summer set put back on I might have to get those reset if my foz doesn't pick them up, so we will see what happens.
The product description says "28203 Subaru/Import TPMS Sensor" $54.31 a pop.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT auto
2 Posts
I just had a winter package installed on my 14 XT Touring and had no issues with the TMPS. No light came on and no tools or equipment were used.I got my sensors(part # S074 28203) from Tire Rack, for $36 a piece and they came installed on the rims. After putting them on the vehicle I just drove away without doing anything else

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just had a winter package installed on my 14 XT Touring and had no issues with the TMPS. No light came on and no tools or equipment were used.I got my sensors(part # S074 28203) from Tire Rack, for $36 a piece and they came installed on the rims. After putting them on the vehicle I just drove away without doing anything else
Nice to see you got the red pearl, I haven't seen too many around! A lot of silver, dark gray and crystal black around here anyway.

Don't be surprised if that light kicks on though, I would say if you don't see it in 30 miles you should be good. I'm still a little apprehensive that it will continue to pick up the signal when I switch them out in the spring...

·
Registered
49 Posts
It turns out that they installed Schader # 33000 on my Forester. Schrader does not list the 33000 as working for the 2014's so they're going to swap them out for the 28203's.

Now I need to figure out which tire/wheel they put which sensors in since I had them swap my winters on the OEM rims and purchased new wheels for the OEM tires.

Could someone do me a favor? I'd really appreciate it if you could look closely at your Subaru's OEM sensors and see if they have TPMS etched into the metal below the threading.

I can't tell for sure which sensors went on which wheels.

Thanks and Happy Holidays

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It turns out that they installed Schader # 33000 on my Forester. Schrader does not list the 33000 as working for the 2014's so they're going to swap them out for the 28203's.

Now I need to figure out which tire/wheel they put which sensors in since I had them swap my winters on the OEM rims and purchased new wheels for the OEM tires.

Could someone do me a favor? I'd really appreciate it if you could look closely at your Subaru's OEM sensors and see if they have TPMS etched into the metal below the threading.

I can't tell for sure which sensors went on which wheels.

Thanks and Happy Holidays
This sounds like you'd only be able to do this with the tires off? I have my mounted currently, maybe you can call up a local dealer or Subaru and find out? Who knows maybe someone here can help you out? Maybe even check in and see with the shop you had them swapped at to see if they have a record of what they put them on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This sounds like you'd only be able to do this with the tires off? I have my mounted currently, maybe you can call up a local dealer or Subaru and find out? Who knows maybe someone here can help you out? Maybe even check in and see with the shop you had them swapped at to see if they have a record of what they put them on.

I'm just talking about the metal, threaded part of the valve stem. All that would need to be done is to take the twist the cap off. On the metal where you inflate your tire, there should either be "TPMS" or nothing written at the base of the gold metal section, just below the threading.

I'm curious about what the OEM Subaru sensors look like.

The shop has no idea, I'm not sure why they don't but I've gotten two different answers about it from them since the day they installed. They also don't have any more #33000's on hand to let me know.

If its still unclear, I'll take a picture of mine sometime today. I started another thread in the Tire & Wheel Tech forum about this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts