Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't resist the deals on leftover 05's - traded my FXT for an 05 Outback XT Limited. Wanted a bit more space & something quieter on the highway, this does the trick :)

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
'04-'05 Forester XT

Front Headroom (in.) 39.80
Rear Headroom (in.) 39.80
Front Legroom (in.) 43.60
Rear Legroom (in.) 33.70
Front Shoulder Room (in.) 53.50
Rear Shoulder Room (in.) 53.60
Front Hip Room (in.) 51.60
Rear Hip Room (in.) 51.60

Passenger Volume (cu. ft.) 93.50
Cargo Volume (cu. ft.) 32.00

'05 Outback XT Limited

Front Headroom (in.) 38.70
Rear Headroom (in.) 37.10
Front Legroom (in.) 44.10
Rear Legroom (in.) 33.90
Front Shoulder Room (in.) 54.40
Rear Shoulder Room (in.) 53.70
Front Hip Room (in.) 51.00
Rear Hip Room (in.) 52.60

Passenger Volume (cu. ft.) 97.40
Cargo Volume (cu. ft.) 32.10

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are fairly close in overall space but the shape of the OXT works better for the crap I carry - in particular the space between the rear strut towers being wider & a tad more shoulder/arm room up front.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Curious to your experience as far as handling differences between the two. Can you tell us?

·
Registered
FXT and Wifes Leggy
481 Posts
Congrats Brett! It's a nice car and I know what you mean my less noisy on the hwy. My wifes 06' legacy is like a knife on the highway where my FXT feels like driving a brick wall at times. :lol:

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
VSB XT said:
Congrats Brett! It's a nice car and I know what you mean my less noisy on the hwy. My wifes 06' legacy is like a knife on the highway where my FXT feels like driving a brick wall at times. :lol:
But a really fast brick wall, right!...yeah, the outback is pretty sweet for ride comfort, especially on long trips.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Congrats on the new car brett s. Good choice. My father has an 05 Outback H6 LLbean and I borrow it occasionally. Stock for stock, I will take a Outback in a heartbeat over a Forester. The two vehicle are in different classes so you really can't compare them. I think of the Outback as a poor man's beamer. A nice upgrade for a lot less cash. The Outback does have more usuable space, more rear leg room, much smoother ride, and better handling due to 17" wheels/tires, weight, and wider stance. And I love the cockpit design :twisted:

·
Registered
259 Posts
For a different as the cars are, it's amazing how similar their measurements are. We went with the Forester because we liked the squareness (cubeness?) of the cargo area compred to the Outback. In hindsight, the Outback might have been the quieter vehicle for us.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a huge difference in noise at highway speeds - magazine tests showed about 4 dB, so less than half.

Suspension is a tad softer but there is less body roll in the corners. I've read comments about it being slightly underdamped, I'd agree with that (especially the rear). Initial impression is less understeer than the stock FXT but I've only driven it 3 days, we'll see after I've got a bit more time behind the wheel.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
Nice car :) congrats. I found our OB had a lot more usable space than my Forester does. The back seats were roomier too.

Not that I don't want you around here anymore (quite the contrary) but check out this site:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/

Good bunch there too just like here.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
brett s said:
I couldn't resist the deals on leftover 05's - traded my FXT for an 05 Outback XT Limited. Wanted a bit more space & something quieter on the highway, this does the trick :)
Wish I had been there when you traded. I'd have matched whatever paltry amount the dealer gave you on the nearly new trade in! :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts