Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Forester XT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am interested in buying a new Forester, either a 2010 or 2011 model. While doing my homework on Forester, I found 2009 and 2010 Foresters don’t have limited-slip rear differential. I also read it somewhere saying that VDC and limited-slip rear differential are mutually exclusive in 4EAT model. However, 2008 Forester XT with 4EAT came with both VDC and limited-slip rear differential. Why is that? :icon_question:

I also read this from a book saying if you want to go off-road, it’s better to get a vehicle that has a limited-slip rear differential. Is this information outdated?

Thank you.

·
Registered
'05 Forester XT
110 Posts
True, limited slip differentials are better than open differentials, but your best bet for true off-roading is a locking rear diff (Which isn't an option on the Forester).

I'm not sure about the type of rear diff that comes in the 2010 or 2011 Forester, but I'm sure someone on here will help you out.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
First, an LSD rear diff really doesn't do squat off-road, so you're really not missing much to be perfectly honest. I've never been a fan of LSD's mainly because they're more-so for on-road or slippery pavement, not off-road situations.

The VDC system WILL help out off-road though. It "imitates" a locking diff, in a way that uses the ABS system to brake the wheel that is spinning, which put the power to the other wheel that has traction. It works very well, and would help me out tremendously versus getting the infamous "diagonal spin" that all AWD and 4x4 vehicles (without locking diffs) are plagued with.

Here's a video of my rear LSD not helping out at all when off road......

YouTube - More Forester Offroading

Here's a video of the VDC system working very well......

YouTube - Lee's Summit Subaru Testing out the AWD and VDC.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
^^ Good vid. I don't really think there is a need of an LSD when VDC is there to help out. The VDC system surpasses the LSD off-road anyway being that it actually "helps" to send power to the wheels not spinning (or in the air) :biggrin: Subaru just probably realized this and omitted it as an unnecessary item.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here's my friend's 2009 XT stuck in deep snow. My 07 had no problem getting up and I'd say he has slightly better snow tires than I do.

<vid>
Something doesn't seem right to me. After a couple seconds on the gas, it should have applied the brakes on the spinning tires. Maybe it doesn't work right when you're gunning the engine like that? I think typically it works well with just a modest amount of gas and let the VDC do its job. I've learned since I was 16 that revving the engine and spinning tires only gets you stuck deeper (but that was a FWD, open diff car, fwiw).
Or, it makes me also wonder if he manually disabled the VDC, thinking that would help in deep snow.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
It didn't take long to get it out, I did the driving :biggrin: We had 3-5 guys push while I slowly gave it gas in low pulses to rock it and create movement back and forth. I find gunning it just creates ruts and with snow it polishes it so you have even less grip.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
One more to solidify your buying decision (in case you were considering Honda CRV, lol):

YouTube - Uphill Climb, Forester Subaru 2009
That's an interesting video and I watched it a couple of times to determine whether or not the driving had much to do with the results and it doesn't look like it to me, especially in the last bit where I think the guy was going a bit slower but may that was my imagination or a different camera angle.

At any rate, it looks like the Foz did well which is good to know because in a year or so I will have to traverse similar terrain.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The stock LSD in the foresters is a joke anyway. Its a weak viscous LSD which really doesn't do much other than on wet roads and light snow. The vdc and forester will work well with the sort of offroading it can handle, but not deep mud or big rocks. If you get stuck, don't just keep spinning the tires, thats a common noob mistake. If you're not moving you want to rock it back and forth or saw the wheel side to side. Tires are far more important for snow/offroad than anything else on the car.

·
Banned
210 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. Guy keeps flooring it and doesn't allow the system to do it's thing. The car won't apply the brakes when the tires are spinning at 60 mph. :biggrin:
That doesn't really make sense seeing as how the VDC system is supposed to assist in getting the car to go in the direction it should be going in. The VDC system should be working at any speed if the purpose of it is to make sure the car is not spinning out of control.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts