Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2004 - No light on gear indicator? - SOLVED!

('03-'05) 
23K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  WashForest 
#1 ·
I've had my 04 Forester XS for a few weeks now and I'm loving it BUT I noticed something and I'm not sure if it's broken or supposed to be this way.

There is no light for the gear indicator by the shifter. If it's night time and I go to shift from P to D there is no light for me to see what gear I'm putting it into.

There is a gear indicator on the Dash that is lit but no light at the actual shifter.
Is that normal or do I have a bulb burned out?

#10 ·
Got the new bulb in and drove it last night.
Much better!

I used the Sylvania 37LL bulb since I wasn't anywhere near a dealership. It works but it didn't feel like a perfect fit.

All is good now.

Thanks again to 2.5X Sleeper for the great write up.

#12 ·
Hey @2.5x_sleeper, did you have to replace that bulb again? I have already replaced it once, and now it appears to be out again. Does it just go out often or do i have something up with my electrical in there somehow?

I do leave my headlights on all the time, so i don't know if it's only illuminated when the headlights are on. Any ideas? I was kind of looking for an led one at this point.

#13 ·
No, I haven't had to replace the bulb in either of our Foresters.

If you're having other bulbs burn out, that could indicate an alternator charge/voltage issue.

Is the bulb blackened when you replace it, if so, perhaps you installed a bulb that rated at a lower voltage? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

#15 ·
If you replaced that bulb previously with an aftermarket bulb, it could have been rated 12V & not 14V. The 12V bulb will be brighter, but won't last as long.

My notes say the '03-'08 - AT shifter gate trim replacement bulb is a GE 37/BP2. This bulb is rated 1 watt - 14 volts - 2500 hours rated life. You can also use a Sylvania 37LL, 1.26 watts, 14 volts.

► Disclaimer - Verify this is the correct part before purchasing. :

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

#19 · (Edited)
I have the MY06 SG. I've changed the gear selector light bulb. What I'm confused about is whether that A/T Hold switch is meant to light up. Mine no longer does, nor did one I got from the wreckers.

My A/C control dials also seem dimmer. They go up and down with the dash dimmer, but I don't know how to change that.

As for not having a glove box light, the trick is a small enough movement sensing light. I've got one that can be recharged via USB, but haven't installed it yet. Meanwhile I got a toilet bowl (yep) version with options for multiple colors and runs on 3x AA batteries. Plenty of options now. LOL

#21 ·
I don't ever recall the A/T hold switch lighting up.
I just cannot remember, and can't be sure either way. I took it apart, and it seemed if there was any light, it would be part of the switch.

As for the A/C control mine are also dim at 10 years old now.
Also took this apart as far as I could, didn't see an easy way in without breaking something... :frown2:

#24 ·
I think it's a perception issue. I actually thinking of putting in some (switched?) little yellow/amber down lights on the bottom side of the arm rests to provide some light. The handy wiring for the power button leds is something I was not aware of previously.

#25 ·
Urgh! I am dealing with this now, and i can NOT get the tiny bulb out. I am probably not gripping it tight enough. I am scared to GRIP it too tight because I am worried it might break. Might wear gloves and/or wrap the bulb in a rag and give it another try. Gonna take a break from sitting in the freezing Forester and trying pull a tiny bulb out LOL

Any tips would be welcome :) I guess the base of this tiny bulb is probably very deep in the socket...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.