Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Forester Sport, few weeks old.

-20C (-4 F) past few days. Plugged in the block heater for the first time. After starting car, coolant temperature stayed cold and the blue cold engine light never turned off on my regular route. Interior never got warm either. Opened the hood - radiator fans are on. Active grill shutter opened as well and haven't closed since (even in -20C weather and after driving on highway).

Didn't plug in block heater the next day - issue resolved, however the active grill shutter is staying open.

I have an appointment at the dealership in a few days - will report back after that. In the meantime, has anyone else run into this issue?

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i Base CVT
36 Posts
I did not run into this issue and I do not have a block heater, but it sounds to me that cooling system was not "burped" completely after block heater installation. Check coolant level in the radiator once engine is cold - DO NOT OPEN RADIATOR CAP WHEN ENGINE IS HOT!!! Also I would check for coolant leaks around/under where the block heater is installed.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's super helpful.
No signs of coolant leak.
Coolant levels are appropriate.
I'll ask the tech to try to burp it when I bring it in.

Do you (or anyone else) know what the active front grill open/close parameters are? Since the "incident", the grill is always open, even in -15 C weather and with highway driving...

Would taking off the (-) terminal for a few minutes be worthwhile to see if a "reset" would help?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think active grill is a 2019 novelty and open/close thresholds and diagnostics should be listed in service manual if one is available. I have 2018 and it does not seem to have the "shutter feature".

What I would do:
- wait for dealer feedback - keep everything documented
- keep eye on coolant level in the overflow reservoir and the radiator itself to keep engine safe
- look/smell for coolant leaks
- as your suggestion of taking the battery terminal off to reset the ECU, I'm countersuggesting to get the OBD reader and monitor coolant temp vs grill open/close events just to kill the time :)
- rock and roll and be nice to humans.

Cheers,
Bart

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Really useful advice again
Just came back from dealer - no codes found. They tested the active shutter and I'm told it's opening/closing normal; now shutter is closed after they tested (was staying open before they tested).
They tried to burp the coolant system but told me no air came out.
In the end I was told to monitor for any future problems.
I will get an OBD reading per your suggestion - any particular one you recommend?

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
632 Posts
I got a BlueDriver from Amazon. Great smartphone interface and very useful @dextor Once got some bad gas in Canada that threw a few codes and disabled EyeSight, RAB, etc. Was able to quickly clear the codes and get the systems back up and running

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have OBDLink LX per forum recommendations as it works well with Subaru specific ActiveOBD app. You have 2019 Subaru so some things may need time to be digged in by people.

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
632 Posts
Check out the prices, number of stars and number of reviews for each of the above on Amazon. One is half the price of the other with one third the reviews and 4 stars. The other is twice as much but with three times the reviews and 4.5 stars. The nice thing with Amazon is you can try them both and return the one you don't want

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
159 Posts
Sounds like a stuck open thermostat. No other reason for a cold engine. If you have a warranty go use it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts