Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this should be merged with the other topic going on about the 2010 fuel filter but I have had it confirmed by the dealer in Vernon, after getting a reply to my e-mail to Subaru Canada, that there is no fuel filter to replace in the 2009's. They at first said 96,000 kms but looked it up to confirm and noted there is none; it was changed for 2009. So the "official" word is no fuel filter. Does not answer how they deal with contaminated fuel tho....:icon_confused:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Just like all 06+ it has the filter built into the fuel pump assembly. The filter itself doesn't have a replacement interval and isn't available separately it seems.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,785 Posts
... I have had it confirmed by the dealer in Vernon, after getting a reply to my e-mail to Subaru Canada, that there is no fuel filter to replace in the 2009's.... So the "official" word is no fuel filter....
So it has been officially confirmed by both your dealer and Subaru that there is no fuel filter in the 2009-on Foresters.
Subaru should be notified that their printed and web maintenance schedules should be corrected to reflect that.
I will let Joe Spitz' of Cars101.com know about the fuel filter being deleted.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it has been officially confirmed by both your dealer and Subaru that there is no fuel filter in the 2009-on Foresters.
Subaru should be notified that their printed and web maintenance schedules should be corrected to reflect that.
As noted by funkymonkey1002 above, there is no fuel filter that can be replaced as a regular maintenance item, hence its not in the maintenance schedule that was given to me by Subaru. I am glad however that there is some sort of filter.

And just to make it clear, I asked and received info for only the 2009, I do not know about the 2010 or any other year, so this only applies to 2009.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,741 Posts
They started doing this around 2005. That's how it is on my wife's Impreza.

I find it hard to believe that there could be such a thing as a lifetime filter.

DFM! (Design for Maintenance)

·
Registered
01 Forester "S" (FS)
518 Posts
So is the (pump assembly) thing still located under the rear seat like on the 2006+ models? Or did they stick it somewhere even more inconvenient?
(Probably one of the reasons why I prefer older Subarus to their newer counterparts)

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,785 Posts
As noted by funkymonkey1002 above, there is no fuel filter that can be replaced as a regular maintenance item, hence its not in the maintenance schedule that was given to me by Subaru. I am glad however that there is some sort of filter....
So the same filter is in the same place, and Subaru has just dropped the 60-month 60K-miles requirement to replace it.
That's what they do with those troublesome filters. First the transmission filter went from lifetime to deleted, and now the fuel filter has gone from 60-60 to lifetime.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
When I was looking it up for the "SH 2010 Fuel filter thread, I found nothing about changing the fuel filter either in my '09 owners manual or on the My.Subaru Cookie Test Page site.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
217 Posts
Seems like the OEM companies are deleting the "serviceable" fuel filter as they've gone on with non-metal tanks and returnless fuel lines. There's still a "gross" filter on fuel pumps that is not serviceable and fuel injectors usually have a 10 micron filter in them. Subaru is probably going with this same approach.

Of course, no one knows how often the gas station owners change their pump filters which is what really troubles me.

Regards,
paul...

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
I find it hard to believe that there could be such a thing as a lifetime filter.
I agree. Unless Subaru has somehow managed to change the laws of physics, I don't see how they managed to get around filtering fuel when every other internal combustion engine maker from the dawn of time has not. I guess we'll see how this plays out over the long term. This doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in the 2009+ models as a long term vehicle choice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts