Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to see if you guys can help me figure out what's going with my 2001 Forester A/C system: It is not blowing cold air.
Actually, it was working fine, until today at noon. Not that it matters, but I recently rebuilt the engine at 115K due to overheating for HG problems, but I never touched the A/C system, lines, compressor, etc.
The compressor turns On ok whenever I push the A/C button inside the car and also seems to be cycling On and Off like it should. The blower inside the cabin works fine too at all speeds, but No cold air comes out the vents at all..

I did notice a bit of oil accumulated around where the High and Low pressure lines attach to the compressor.. that's all I know for now.

Could this be related to low refrigerant or maybe an issue directly related to the A/C compressor?

·
Registered
2013 forester auto
40 Posts
You have 2 different size lines hooking up to your compressor. Grab ahold of the larger one while engine runs and a/c on. It should feel "beer can cold" and eventually start sweating beads of condensation

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have found the answer to the problem: both high & low pressure lines are leaking where they connect to the compressor.

Refrigerant was totally gone this morning and clutch compressor wouldn't engage of course.. Soon as I put 11 oz of R-134a in the system, the clutch engaged again. Semi-cold air was coming out the vents, but it didn't last long as all the refrigerant was leaking a lot.. at least it allowed me to see where it was coming out from.
My guess is when I was rebuilding the engine, moving the compressor and lines everywhere, I might have gotten the lines lose enough to create the leak. I will try changing the O-rings, fill it up again and go from there. Hopefully it's just that..

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to fix the leak at the connections where both lines meet the compressor. Seems like a common issue on these cars. Simply changed both O-rings, retightened the lines and filled it up with freon. A/C works now, finally got cold air!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts