Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a my03 Forester XS with 17,500 Miles an decide to check how dirty was my cabin air filter in my glove box. When I realize there is no filter and everything near the fan was all dusty and dirty. Has his happend to you guys?? This car was bought brand new 0 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
2003/2004 Cabin Air Filter was an option. You can always add one.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Are you sure the filter was included when you purchased the car? I'm pretty certain that on the 03/04 models the cabin air filter was optional equipment and not standard issue.

edit: ferret beat me to it...

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Yeah, I went to replace mine to find that never had one and that it was an option...wish they said something when I was buying the XT:tempertantrum

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
Are they standard or optional on 2006?

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
if you have one there should be a yellow sticker on the drivers door jamb stating that there's a cabin air filter and also another silver sticker w/ the date it was installed.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I think the housing became part of the vent system in ~2003. The filter element however, was an extra charge option.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
I wasn't aware it was an optional extra and the Dealer said nothing either, I ae only learnt about it from one of Peatys threads on the old SF.com forum.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
I called my dealer on my 06 X and the part guy said that mine should have a filter and that a replacement was $70. I'm thinking that sounds like a $15 part that is marked up too ridiculously high. I'll figure it out before it needs replacement, whether i have to make my own or buy it online.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow I did not know it was optional, thanx for the info I better go an get one over here is getting lot of dusty during the constructions.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,155 Posts
Flyer said:
I called my dealer on my 06 X and the part guy said that mine should have a filter and that a replacement was $70. I'm thinking that sounds like a $15 part that is marked up too ridiculously high. I'll figure it out before it needs replacement, whether i have to make my own or buy it online.
:tempertantrumSeventy dollars!!! :tempertantrum

They're just over $30 online, and even that's a ripoff for what you get!

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
He's talking about the filter for the blower unit, which is part number:

72880SA000 - $75.73 list price

I noticed that in my accessories catalog, there is no other part number for the air filtration system starting in 2005, so I would have to assume that's the part.

When I was that deep into an installation (I had the glove box out), I simply removed the filter, blew it out, washed it off with water, and let it dry. Works fine.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,155 Posts
Ah, I see. Planned obsolescence!

I wonder if it really might fit anyway.

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
my 02 didnt have one, I bought one looking to do the same thing I'll I found was dust and no filter

1 - 20 of 21 Posts