Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 WRX
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody recommend a good, affordable receiver for my '04 FXT?

Criteria:
- Must look like it belongs in the car (no Sony Xplode styling or weird install trim)
- Must allow me to attach storage (USB prefered, SD card OK) without having anything hanging out the front of the unit.
- Must handle MP3 format with ID3 tags (other formats a plus)
- Must be affordable

Bonus points:
- Also plays CDs
- Bluetooth phone capable
- Double DIN so it fills up the stock hole
- Large(ish) display so I can read song information easily
- Matches green Forester interior lights

My best bet so far is a JVC KW-XR810. It covers all of my "musts" but costs $300 and I wouldn't be able to use the bluetooth without giving up the rear USB input.

Is there anything better/cheaper I should consider?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I picked up my Pioneer FH-P8000BT for just over $300 CAD, so in the US I'm sure you can get it around the $300 mark. I absolutely love this thing, it's just the best HU I've ever had my hands on. I've got my MP3's on a USB stick in the glove box, which I can swap with the wife's iPod if need be. Then I have streaming BT audio from my Blackberry. Then the AUX-in for my Sirius radio.

Backlight is blue though.

Pioneer of Canada - English - FH-P8000BT - Double-DIN CD Receiver with Built-In Bluetooth® Wireless and USB Direct Control of iPod

·
Registered
2002 WRX
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Ditto...I got the 800BT (same unit just says premier on it) for like $250 on ebay last summer. I love it...it does everything! One small bad thing...the backlighting is bright at night, even while hooked to the dimmer.

I picked up my Pioneer FH-P8000BT for just over $300 CAD, so in the US I'm sure you can get it around the $300 mark. I absolutely love this thing, it's just the best HU I've ever had my hands on. I've got my MP3's on a USB stick in the glove box, which I can swap with the wife's iPod if need be. Then I have streaming BT audio from my Blackberry. Then the AUX-in for my Sirius radio.

Backlight is blue though.

Pioneer of Canada - English - FH-P8000BT - Double-DIN CD Receiver with Built-In Bluetooth® Wireless and USB Direct Control of iPod

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
WOW, that looks NICE. How does it fit in your Forester? Does it fill the stock hole without needing extra trim? Is a wiring harness readily available, so I can just plug it in? I've never installed one of these things before.

Also, maybe trickier question, but do you know if it will power a USB external HD?
It fits like a glove in the stock location. According to the manual, it can read up to 250GB through the USB port.

Manual can be found here:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/FH-P800BT_OperationManual0228.pdf

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 4AET
81 Posts
Will this work in my 2005 Forester XT? I have been looking for a replacement radio that will support MP# CD, iPod, AUX, and playing MP3 files from USB drive. In addition, it is impossible to read the display on the the stock CD changer unit in the sun. Is the Pioneer FH-P8000BT still the unit of choice or is there something newer/better that is recommended to fit my bill? Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was looking at double DIN units to put in my '10 Forester. The top options for me were the Kenwood DPX503 and Clarion CX501. I had a Kenwood KDC-HD545U in my old Forester and it was great. The DPX503 looks to be the same basic unit in a double DIN size with the option to change backlight colors.

I wound up going with a single DIN JVC KD-A815. So many more, better options for under $200. While the single DIN conversion install kit doesn't look the greatest I do like having the new pocket under the radio where I can put my iphone/pod when connected to the HU for audio and bluetooth. I used the money I saved to put new speakers in the front doors. So far I'm very happy with it.

I don't remember if it was on SF.org or nasioc where I saw someone recommend the new Kenwood KDC-x995 which is pretty damn fantastic for the price. HD radio, bluetooth, color setting options, and everything else you'd want and never use. Though I'm sure, like most any radio on the planet, it'll still be hard to read in direct sunlight.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited Auto w/nav
898 Posts
Does the Pioneer FH-P8000BT also support the rear view camera functionality?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts