1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's New Forester Day!

Hi,

After enduring a transient car starting problem that is not likely to be solved with a single visit to my trusted car guy, I ordered a new Forester last Monday. They are in very short supply in the Bay Area and I decided I wanted a car with the color and options I prefer.

Ordered an ice silver Sport with Blind side option, rear bumper cover, and rear seat protectors. So stripped down! I didn't even bother to test drive as any car is going to be better than a 23 year old Honda Civic that made 102 hp new and I was not considering other vehicles. I initially was also considering a 2WD CR-V as I don't thing I'll drive anywhere that will take advantage of the AWD, but the 2019 Forester has better safety features than the 2019 CR-V and Subaru includes more safety features standard on it's models. As a minimalist, my requirements are car goes when I hit the accelerator, and stops when I hit the brake. I bike a lot and only put on 2k miles a year, but I'm going to have to take some driving vacays this summer.

I was worried about driving a larger vehicle and looked up the specs. The foz is only 6% wider and 5.2% longer, but 33% taller than the Civic.

This is only the third car I've owned, but my first car without a stick shift. My first car was a $5248 2 door Toyota Tercel. I tell you the upgrade to the Civic was incredible. Best feature? The passenger side mirror!

I can't wait!

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,124 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I had an '81 Tercel 2-door with the 5-speed, great car!

The Forester (and the CR-V) are actually based on their respective compact cousins, the Impreza and the Civic, so yes, their footprints are similar, and the transition won't be too difficult. These compact crossovers are very efficient size/space-wise, and really hit a sweet spot for many people, explaining their immense popularity.

While I don't really endorse buying a car without extensive test driving (comfort is important -- critical on long trips) I wish you well and expect you'll be happy. Take your time to acclimate to all the technical advances since your last new car, and spend some quality time with the documentation... there will be a lot to learn!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts