Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Limited
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If I am right, the current EyeSight is 3rd gen? It took a few years to perfect it... what do you think about the 1st year of the next gen EyeSight just announced?

I usually prefer to wait for a second year as they will learn a lot from that first year... unless this is alreay running on Japenese models? Not sure if Levorg is currently sold over there.

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Limited
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This is what I was talking about... Your Next New Subaru With EyeSight Will Have High-Tech LiDAR | Torque News

If it really comes in the MY2022 Forester, would you buy or wait a year? Pretty cool it's kind of tested now in Japan so the system would not be exactly a year 1 version if it lands here next year but nontheless I'm hesitant. Fact is I was kind of set to upgrade our MY2011 to 2022 and now for this reason I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,211 Posts
That's a clickbait site with a poor record of reliability. So before I made any decisions, I'd look for a more reliable source. Or wait for an actual announcement from Subaru.

In any case, Eyesight is already highly ranked and well-regarded by IIHS, Consumer Reports, etc. It's one of the best systems available. Even the previous-generation version on my 2015 is great. So I wouldn't be upset to buy a car with the current excellent, proven system.

Finally, here's a press release (Subaru Selects Veoneer to Manufacture New Generation Eyesight):

STOCKHOLM, Oct. 1, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The automotive technology company Veoneer, Inc. (NYSE: VNE and SSE: VNE SDB), has partnered with Subaru to introduce the new generation EyeSight on the all-new Subaru Levorg. Veoneer will begin producing systems for the Japan market starting later this year.

Veoneer was selected by Subaru due to its experience in stereo vision systems and opto-mechanical design capabilities. This business is included in Veoneer's previously announced backlog. The new generation EyeSight hardware is a variant of Veoneer's 4th generation stereo vision system, re-engineered to meet Subaru's original specification.

No mention of LiDar.

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Limited
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are right, I've searched more and no mention of LiDAR anywhere else so I unlinked the website to avoid traffic there.

Meanwhile I found this video explaining more of next gen EyeSight X on the Levorg.

You can turn on CC but translation is so so...

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
281 Posts
IMHO having some sort of sonar/radar/lidar (proximity sensors) all around the vehicle would be of huge benefit. The more inputs you have into an algorithm the smarter it can be. One of the things I find ridiculous about the Forester is that it doesn't have proximity sensors on the front. When I pull into my garage in my VW Golf it beeps at me in a way that allows me to know precisely how far I am from the wall. This simply isn't possible in the Forester. Having the front end equivalent of RAB would be great. Right now the camera setup functions for high(ish) speed front collision prevention, but low speed is out of its scope.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,037 Posts
It’s certainly possible to add those features... and tons more... but I suspect Subaru is under lots of pressure to sell Forester models at their current price-points. The question is... how many buyers will adding those features bring into the brand and model?

Lots of folks carp about no available turbo to provide extra HP (as compared to adding a turbo to downsize the power plant and hopefully increase MPG), but when that option was available, only 7-8% of buyers purchased them.

Of course, if/when sales drop off, nothing is ever off the table...

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
281 Posts
It’s certainly possible to add those features... and tons more... but I suspect Subaru is under lots of pressure to sell Forester models at their current price-points. The question is... how many buyers will adding those features bring into the brand and model?

Lots of folks carp about no available turbo to provide extra HP (as compared to adding a turbo to downsize the power plant and hopefully increase MPG), but when that option was available, only 7-8% of buyers purchased them.

Of course, if/when sales drop off, nothing is ever off the table...
Safety is usually front and center when buying a new vehicle for most people. Getting marginally quicker to 60 is an afterthought for most.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,037 Posts
I just used the turbo powered feature as a point of demonstration, not as a substitute comparison.

So, once again, how much more do you think the average purchaser would be willing to put into a Subaru Forester to get these additional safety features you find important? After all, every new Forester already comes standard with Eyesight, along with other high-value safety features.

At some point, the price charges required to provide these enhanced safety features begins to start exceeding what the buying public is willing to spend on a make/model vehicle. Manufacturers spend lots of cash researching to determine what the range of these price points are... Everyone can’t afford a $40K (US) or possibly more expensive vehicle, regardless how badly they want the full compliment of safety features.

From a personal standpoint, I’d love to see every vehicle sold to be able to be equipped with every safety feature possible...let the purchaser pick and choose the features he/she wants, but that’s not a reality in the real-world...

·
Registered
145 Posts
This 100%. I wish people would stop giving them clicks. Sensationalistic rumormongering clickbait is a scourge.
I so much wish there was a true Subaru blog to follow. I have lots of great options with that in my tech interests. Subaru, not so much. I almost want to start one myself.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You are right, I've searched more and no mention of LiDAR anywhere else so I unlinked the website to avoid traffic there.

Meanwhile I found this video explaining more of next gen EyeSight X on the Levorg.

Holy crap. I was watching this for the Eyesight X description, but those LED array headlights are INSANE. I want that NOW!!!

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
609 Posts

I watched that whole video. The only thing I don't like and I hope doesn't make it to the US, are those auto dimming and brightening headlights. Here in Merica I want to blind everyone else with my headlights as they do to every other driver on road. :ROFLMAO: :p

·
Registered
171 Posts
I watched that whole video. The only thing I don't like and I hope doesn't make it to the US, are those auto dimming and brightening headlights.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, my '21 Sport already has that feature.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Unless I'm misunderstanding, my '21 Sport already has that feature.
Actually no. Your sport has automatic high beams that turn off when eyesight sees an oncoming car. This is LED array headlights. Basically there are several individual LEDs that each illuminate specific parts of what is in front of you. It uses the eyesight cameras to know where cars are and turn off the LEDs that shine on that specific spot. In essence, this allows it to have the high beams on all the time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ahhh, I see. That actually sounds pretty cool. Thanks for the explanation. (I didn't watch the video because I don't understand Japanese.)

Reactions: zachavm
1 - 20 of 22 Posts